Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can someone please help me!

• Please log in to reply

9aw

9aw

• Pip
  • 5 posts
why does my computer say that there is an installation in progress when there isn't?

When I try to install any software a message saying "another installation is in progess. Complete before continuing with this"

Why is this happening?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

There is probably another install/uninstall process running 'silently' (ie. no progress box is shown so nothing to see), but it will be shown in Task Manager->Processes.
The error will occur if two instances of 'msiexec.exe' are running at the same time (one belonging to the software you want to install, the other belonging to something else which didn't manage to complete fully).

Sometimes just a reboot will fix this, otherwise you'll need to open Task Manager (right-click Taskbar->Task Manager. Under the 'Processes' tab highlight all instances of 'msiexec.exe' in turn, clicking "End Task" for each one. Now try installing something.

Edited by pip22, 29 March 2008 - 02:26 PM.

9aw

9aw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for that I tryed it and found the process and ended it but it is still happening is anythong else I could try

AlErT

AlErT

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
hello

it might be possible that you are clicking more than once on software when you want to install it which
leads to multiple installation copies

9aw

9aw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok thanks But that isnt working either but thanks for helping

9aw

9aw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts