Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

90 Celcius overclock.

• Please log in to reply

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I decided to use the ATI tool to auto-clock my HD3850 graphics card. While I was doing this the core clock increased from 669Mhz to 759Mhz and the Memmory Clock went from 829Mhz to 1094Mhz. With these increases the temp was at 90 degrees celcius. I was wondering if this is too hot, It was at 90 for about 6 minutes before my computer crashed.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Well there's your answer. if it didn't crash at the stock speed then you've overdone it and the extra heat is too much. My advice is set it back the way it was.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
That is a very high OC for a video card.

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I just played Crysis with this overclock and it ran smoothly with everything on high at 1024*768. It didn't crash either and suprisingly the temp continued to stay under 90 degrees Celcius.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
With that much of an overclock and a 90C temp, you can expect your video card to die very soon. You need to overclock in baby steps, and test the stability with ATITool's artifact scanning feature. In fact, since you have an ATI card, ATITool may be able to automatically find the highest stable overclock for you.

You will also want to increase the fan speed if your card is running that hot. Try looking in the Catalyst drivers for a way to do that, and if there is none, try RivaTuner.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Keep in mind that 90C is 194C which is 94degrees ABOVE water's boiling point.

This is not only bad for your Card, it is also bad for all the other components in your computer.

With such high temps on your card, the ambient temperature should be at least 40C (which is still boiling)

ATITOOL's autoclocker is really bad (IMO) they have a history of going WAY beyond your card's limits.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Keep in mind that 90C is 194C which is 94degrees ABOVE water's boiling point.

This is not only bad for your Card, it is also bad for all the other components in your computer.

With such high temps on your card, the ambient temperature should be at least 40C (which is still boiling)

ATITOOL's autoclocker is really bad (IMO) they have a history of going WAY beyond your card's limits.

Eh? This entire post is from another dimension! How do you convert Celsius to Celsius and gain 104 degrees? Water boils at 100C. Therefore 90C is 10C less than the boiling point of water. Not that water has anything to do with this, as graphics cards aren't made of water!

Also, ATITool's auto overclocker is actually very accurate and perhaps even a bit conservative. It stops the overclock and goes back down a notch in speeds if it detects even the slightest artifacting and ATITool's artifact scanner is more susceptible to artifacting than your average game.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts
Wow..

I should really stop posting when i'm half asleep... I don't even remember that post O.o
and from the looks of the time to that post, i prolly was asleep (took a nap at 2:00ish)

~~~

It's just my personal experience's with ATItool.

Edited by Rocknrollcows, 30 March 2008 - 07:40 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

Wow..

I should really stop posting when i'm half asleep... I don't even remember that post O.o
and from the looks of the time to that post, i prolly was asleep (took a nap at 2:00ish)

~~~

It's just my personal experience's with ATItool.

I don't think you should stop... That was one of the few times I've actually laughed out loud (:)) from something I've read on here. :)

As for ATITool, perhaps you used an older version, because with the latest beta it works as I've described and therefore it wouldn't work as you've described. :) But what did you use it on, because ATITool auto overclocker doesn't work with the G92 cards from NVIDIA (such as the 8800GT)...

Edited by stettybet0, 30 March 2008 - 09:06 PM.

Rocknrollcows

Rocknrollcows

• PipPipPip
  • 432 posts

ATITool auto overclocker doesn't work with the G92 cards from NVIDIA (such as the 8800GT)...

No wonder it went all the way up to 900mhz and crashed.......

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
Okay thanks guys.