Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem with help files

• Please log in to reply

SassyFireAngel

SassyFireAngel

• Pip
  • 6 posts
OK, I can't get answers anywhere for this problem. For a while now, every time I try to open a help file in ANY application, NONE of them work, with the exception of Netscape. It's frustrating, because when I download new programs, I can't learn how to use them properly. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I really need assistance with this, it's very annoying. Just to clarify, when I click on help in a program, I'll get the hourglass, and then nothing.

Advertisements

TonyKlein

TonyKlein

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 642 posts
  • MVP
A couple of things to try:

Go to Start/Run, type in: control folders and press Enter.
On the "View" tab, check 'Show hidden files and folders' and uncheck 'Hide extensions for known file types'.
Click OK.

Now go to C:\Windows\inf\pchealth.inf. Right click the file and choose 'install'. Have your CD handy.

If that doesn't do the trick, try running this script:
http://www.dougknox....ixwinxphelp.htm

If still no joy, go to Start > Run, paste the bold into the box and click OK:

helpctr -regserver (there's a space following 'helpctr' )

You ought to get a "registration succeeded" message

Also try running this one:

regsvr32 jscript.dll

Tell us how you get on!

Good luck,

SassyFireAngel

SassyFireAngel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK, I did the first step. I tried downloading the Doug Knox file but all I get is a page of codes and instructions that I don't understand. Running helpctr- regserver results in a brief hourglass and then nothing, running the .dll app says it succeeded. So two of the four suggestions I could not do or did not understand and the help files still don't work. Could you (TonyKlein) or someone else explain the other two in more depth? As to why the one wouldn't work and how to perform the actions of the Doug Knox file? Thank you!

TonyKlein

TonyKlein

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 642 posts
  • MVP
As for the Doug Knox script, as it says:

To use: Download the fixwinxphelp.vbs file and save it to your hard drive (you may want to right click and use Save Target As). Double-click the fixwinxphelp.vbs file.

Did you indeed proceed as advised there?

Click this direct download link: http://www.dougknox....ixwinxphelp.vbs

You'll be presented with the download dialog box. Choose 'Save', not 'Open'.

Save the file to any location of your choice, say the Desktop.

Make sure you save the vbs file as type "Vbsscript script file", NOT as type 'All Files'.

If you do that correctly, you'll have a fixwinxphelp.vbs saved in the location of your choice.

Find, then doubleclick that fixwinxphelp.vbs file, and tell us whether that goes as planned.

SassyFireAngel

SassyFireAngel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK, let's add another problem to the mix. I downloaded spyware removal software last night and also updated to Norton 2005. When I try to download the Norton, I get the error message that something like C:\DOCUME~1\SHELLE\LOCALS~1\TEMP\satczf4w.exe could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.
Is this stuff connected? Could there be one major problem on my comp that is causing all this, and if so, what is it, because this is driving me nuts!

SassyFireAngel

SassyFireAngel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
And yes, by the way, I followed the directions. But when I clicked on the download link, it takes me straight to a page with a bunch of codes and instructions, rather than offering a save or run dialog box. I tried right-clicking and saving the target, but that resulted in the same thing.

TonyKlein

TonyKlein

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 642 posts
  • MVP

When I try to download the Norton, I get the error message that something like C:\DOCUME~1\SHELLE\LOCALS~1\TEMP\satczf4w.exe could not be saved, because the source file could not be read.
Is this stuff connected? Could there be one major problem on my comp that is causing all this, and if so, what is it

View Post

It's impossible to say without a closer look at your configuration. Are you able to download other software all right??

I suggest that as a first step you go make sure that you aren't being plagued by a trojan/worm or other infection.

Please go through the steps detailed here: http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html

Finally post a Hijack This log in the appropriate section of this board, and someone will help you analyze it.

Let's continue once certain that you're system is clean.

Edited by TonyKlein, 25 April 2005 - 11:29 AM.

SassyFireAngel

SassyFireAngel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK, it's impossible for me to go through the steps on the Hijack page because nothing happens when I click the download links. More specifically, the Shredder download comes up with a message similar to the Norton message, and the link to the AVG anti-virus program (since my Norton can't be updated due to the download problem) just does nothing. I'm really going nuts here, I need my computer WAY too much right now. Could I have possibly deleted something that helps these programs and downloads run while cleaning up my computer? I'm usually not overzealous with it and only delete things I am sure are ok, but you never know.

SassyFireAngel

SassyFireAngel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
OK, fixed the download problem by doing a search on the net and finding a reference to my exact problem. I closed Netscape and QuickLaunch, deleted the file comprag.dat in the Netscape components folder, and I can now download. I will try the other steps to try to restore my help files as listed on the Hijack This page and get back to you.