Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton Ghost 9 - desperate question!

• Please log in to reply

volunteer_mn

volunteer_mn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I a cannot figure out how to configure Ghost to reimage drive at every boot. This is a strange necessity, but it is for a lab I am maintaining at a camp for disabled individuals and the camp doesn't have much on site IT support. I need to come up with an image disk that I can load onto a hard disk that will automatically do this every time. Please, if any of you know anything about this setting, email me at [email protected] with any advice. Thank you.

Advertisements

MonicaM

MonicaM

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I don't think that reimaging is the correct solution for your problem. If I understand correctly, you wish to keep your setting permenately (each time the pc reboots). If that is the case, you could install a program such as Deep Freeze http://www.faronics....tml/product.asp to save the image from changes and load the unchanged image every time the pc boots. Deep Freeze allows users to use a pc, but changes are not saved nor is anything saved on the local hard drive of the computer running deep freeze. An alterternative to software is a piece of hardware called a centurion guard. http://www.centuriontech.com/ I hope that this helps. :tazz:

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Its been a while since I've done it the way your are wanting. basically we setup a hidden partion on the drive, used a boot menu that allowed us to choose which one we wanted. 1) for the main os. 2)to reimage the system. we had it setup so that all you had to do was specify the clone, path, and post actions. Pulled this from the ghost boot wizard (help file)

Adding command-line parameters to a boot package

You can add command-line parameters to a boot package to instruct Symantec Ghost to perform certain actions.

For more information, see the Symantec Ghost Reference Guide.

Command-line parameters can be added while creating a Standard Boot Disk, Network Boot Disk, CD/DVD Startup Disk with Ghost, TCP/IP Network Boot Image, boot disk in the Client Type window.

In the following example, the parameters instruct Symantec Ghost to connect to the GhostCast session called test and restore the disk image to the first drive.

Table 2-2 Command parameters  Switch  Description 
-sure  Removes the need to confirm the specified details. 
-rb  Causes a restart immediately after the cloning operation. 
-clone  Used with the parameter src=@mctest and dst=1.
@mc indicates the GhostCast session name. In this case, the session name is test.
The session name must match on the client and server.
dst=1 refers to the destination being fixed disk 1. 

In the following example, the parameters instruct Symantec Ghost to back up your main disk to an image on another drive.

-clone,mode=create,src=1,dst=D:\backups\maindrv.gho

Table 2-3 Command parameters  Clone Parameters  Description 
mode=create  Creates an image file 
src=1  Specifies drive 1 as the source drive 
dst=D:\Backups\Maindrv.gho  Saves the image to the file D:\Backups\Maindrv.gho 

bedbuggie

bedbuggie

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Rather than doing it through software, which could be buggy as deepfreeze is. Use a hardware component such as a Sherrif card. IT allows you to set the image then turn the card on and it will always reboot to the same image, no matter what changes are made. We use them at work and they are great.

Trevor

babylon5

babylon5

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Rather than doing it through software, which could be buggy as deepfreeze is. Use a hardware component such as a Sherrif card. IT allows you to set the image then turn the card on and it will always reboot to the same image, no matter what changes are made. We use them at work and they are great.
Trevor

View Post

I wanted to say that I am a Systems Admin and I have been using Driveshield from http://www.centuriontech.com/ for years now. It is software only (they also do have a hardware solution) It has never been buggy.

I have about 30 PC's that I have to have locked down or the students will trash them in a day. :tazz:

Works like a charm so far!

I was actually looking at that deep freeze but you say that is kind of buggy?
Just liked some of the added features but nothing I really NEED.

trak0r

trak0r

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm an administrator too and manage 3000 computers all running deep freeze. I haven't had any bugs with it as of yet. Works flawlessly and also allows for sms and windows updates during a locked down maintenance scheldule during the night. Awesome.

-Trak0r

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Try Geting a version of Linux that runs from a CD it will be the same every time you boot. Or if you mean to make a back up with Norton Ghoast a evey boot that it is a simple matter of choseing this as the option when you set up scedualed backups. if you you allready have a buckup scedual you can change it by clicking the "buckup jobs" tab and pressing edit job. :tazz:

Edited by Michael Buckley, 27 June 2005 - 08:46 PM.