Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File sharing

• Please log in to reply

sukaira-ku

sukaira-ku

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
I recently got a new laptop that has Windows Vista. Using wireless I was able to connect to the internet and also access the files that were shared on my desktop computer (which has Windows XP). All of a sudden it stopped working today and I can't figure out why. Now when I try to access my network and shared files on other computers I don't see them in my laptop's windows explorer. Can anyone tell me why this happened and how to fix it?

Advertisements

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
sukaira-ku,

If you could originally get to shared files on your XP PC from your new XP PC and now you can't - then something changed. Did you install or re-configure any firewall or antivirus software on either machine? Did you change your username and/or password on EITHER PC? Not to ask a stupid question - but is your old XP with the shared files up and running ? I ask because if the XP machine is a laptop and you closed it - this would cause it to hibernate and cut off access to those shared files.

As a rule of thumb to make Windows File Sharing work between two PC's on a home network you must:

1) Configure the firewall or internet security software on BOTH machines to allow Windows File Sharing or SMB

2) Have both the same USERNAME and PASSWORD set up on BOTH MACHINES when attempting to share files

3) Have the "Client for Microsoft Networks" installed as a component of TCP/IP on BOTH machines

4) Establish SHARES for the files/folders/printers with proper security on each PC

I'm guessing that if it worked before - you probably installed some firewall/anti-virus software on one or both of the PCs -or- you changed your username and/or password on one or both of the PCs

Hope this helps.

John