Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

xp wont boot

• Please log in to reply

Justin Time

Justin Time

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Fresh install xp pro & sp2 6 wks ago, everything ok, then progressively performed updates on all programs until win exp ver7 seemed to slow broadband to slower than dial-up. Thought possible bugs or something so decided to follow pre post hijackthis log procedure just to make sure. When reached AVG Scan and to boot in Safe Mode it would not restart. Since then I cant get Windows to boot. CMDPMT C: Dir search says everything is still there. Tried xp pro cd boot...didnt work. Tried floppy boot disc....didnt work either. what now please

Advertisements

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Justin Time

There are programs incompatible with XP SP2 that you may have installed. Also - some disk drivers might be corrupting the file system. I would install the Recovery Console - boot into it, then perform a CHKDSK C: /R. Microsoft has a knowledgebase document that may help troubleshoot and fix this problem:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898583

You may want to check out support.microsoft.com and search their Knowledgebase for specific problems or error messages that you're getting. They do tend to document bugs and solutions better than most software vendors.

I know when I upgraded to XP SP2, there were drivers and apps that were NOT compatible with SP2. You may need to remove and update/upgrade these drivers.

Hope this helps.

John

Justin Time

Justin Time

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks John, but cant do a thing on MY computer until my computer actually boots into windows

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Justin Time,

If you have a Windows XP Install CD - put it in your PC's CD-ROM drive, go into the PC's BIOS setup and change the boot order to boot from the CD first. Turn on the PC and have it boot from the CD. From that point - follow the prompts to perform a REPAIR - and elect to run the "Recovery Console". This will bring you to a DOS-looking prompt - select the Windows installation by the number listed on the screen, type in the password for "Administrator", then when you're at the C:\> prompt type

CHKDSK C: /R

This will take AWHILE to run - but let it run through completion. After it's finished, type EXIT at that DOS prompt - the see if you can boot into Windows - picking "Start Normally".

Let me know what happens and we'll take it from there.

- John

Justin Time

Justin Time

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hey John, - thanks for your time. Tried that but cd won't read in drive. Have been reading other threads while waiting and just tried
C:\>type boot.ini and got this

[Boot loader]
Time out =5
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) \windows
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1) \windows='Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /Fastdetect /NoExecute =Opt In/Safeboot:minimal

Does this mean my xp disk doesn't get read by my new cd / dvd drive which was setup when I did my re-install 6wks ago. Even then I had to reload Windows 98 then upgrade from that to install xp pro.

Edited by Justin Time, 30 March 2008 - 06:57 AM.

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Justin Time,

That boot.ini file simply tells the boot loader where to find the XP (or any other operating systems) on your PC. If you had the Recovery Console, there would be another entry in there for it.

If you can't boot from your CD - either you CD is scratched/damaged, there's a problem with you CD DRIVE or you haven't gone into the PC's BIOS Setup and configured the BIOS Boot Order to try to Boot from the CD Drive FIRST. You need to be able to reboot from that Windows CD in order to access the Recovery Console and run CHKDSK C: /R.

Go into your BIOS Setup screen (press key noted on the screen when you first power it up - usually DEL, F1, F2 or F10). Locate the "boot order" section and set the CD ROM drive as the 1st device to boot from. Try cleaning your CD to remove any dirt of finger prints. Try booting another known GOOD CD ROM that's bootable to make sure that you're drive IS working. If your CD Drive is not working - you'll need to replace it with a working CD ROM Drive.

- Hope this helps

Justin Time

Justin Time

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
finally caught up with friends friend who gave me the old computer who said that the COPY of pro disc he gave with the computer possibly wont have all of the proper files I should have got in the first place... not happy!!! If i was able to get hold of an original xp pro disc can I use that to get up and running again without losing my stuff. I have the records of a voluntary org/club that I am part of.

Justin Time

Justin Time

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Resolved! Removed hard drive, installed as slave on sons puter and saved whole drive. purchased new xp pro home cd, installed hard drive back and reformatted. setup shared folder to sons puter and trans whole of old drive back. Manually transferred wanted files back. Thanks.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Thanks for letting us know how you resolved the problem. :)