Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My games freeze up my computer

• Please log in to reply

Bash-o

Bash-o

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi, I have had this problem for quite some time now and it is really starting to bug me, because I can't play certain games without them crashing 5-10 minutes into gameplay. Whenever I play my steam games (Counter Strike: Source, Half Life 2 Ep1 and Ep2, Team Fortress 2, Garry's Mod, Portal etc.) they will always freeze up my whole computer a few minutes after starting, I can't use Ctr+Alt+Del, Alt+F4 or in fact the whole keyboard, because everything freezes, all thats left is a frozen image of the game, so I have to reboot my computer. I have all the right specs for the games, and I have tried putting down the quality of video and sound in game, but still nothing works. My specs are 256mb NVIDIA GeForce6600, Pentium® 4 CPU 3.00GHz, 1.50 GB of RAM, DirectX 9.0c and I have the latest driver installed (169.21)(although in my 'NVIDIA GeForce 6600 Properties' under 'Display Properties' it says the driver version is 6.14.11.6921, but I don't know if that is anything to do with it, if it is please can someone tell me :) )
This problem has been going on for a long time, although it didn't used to, and it is very annoying, so if anyone can help me I would be VERY grateful. :)

Advertisements

IsThatYouOrMe?

IsThatYouOrMe?

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is likely not the case but I had a similar problem. My fan on my video card (underneath it) was not working so that whenever I would run a tasking program (any 3d game) it would freeze on me due to overheating.

Bash-o

Bash-o

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Well I checked all my fans, and they seem to be working fine, so I don't know what else it could be.

Edit: Still freezes up. Btw I also have my cover off so it lets in cool air, but still nothing changes.
(Also I am going to switch graphics cards around sometime soon and see if that is the problem)
If you have any suggestions, please post.

Edited by Bash-o, 07 April 2008 - 02:43 AM.