Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xvid.dll causes my Windows Explorer tocrash when in thumbnail view

• Please log in to reply

Angelic_Downfall

Angelic_Downfall

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My windows explorer encounters a problem every time I open a folder containing video files viewed in thumbnails and says that xvid.dll has a problem or something. Can someone please tell me what to do..??
:)

Advertisements

u10b_coach

u10b_coach

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I am having the same issue. If a folder has a video file in it and I select thumbnail view, I get a Windows Explorer error that referrencs Xvid.dll. This folder is a sub folder that has photos in it that display fine in thumbnail mode. Can you shed some light for me and the other poster?

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Have you ever downloaded a codec called XviD for watching movies? This is related to that - however, I'm reluctant to provide a lot of help, as their site references using file-sharing in order to download movies, which is something we do not provide support with. What I can tell you is that according to the xviD site, this is an old and unneeded file, and uninstalling the xvid codec should resolve the issue.

This problem usually occurs when you're browsing a folder containing XviD videos and Explorer tries to create thumbnail previews of the videos using an outdated version of the XviD codec that's installed. When it fails you get an error message about Explorer encountering a problem with xvid.dll and having to close down (Windows Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close).

As the xvid.dll file hasn't been used for quite some time its presence on your system suggests that you've still got an outdated version of the XviD codec installed. Just installing the latest version of the XviD codec over the old one won't fix the problem as it doesn't remove the old files and registry settings. You first need to uninstall all previous versions of the XviD codec and verify that the problem goes away. Then you should install the latest version of the XviD codec.