Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC suddenly stopped loading XP

• Please log in to reply

DSOTM

DSOTM

• Pip
  • 4 posts
This has been the strangest thing yet to happen on my pc. I left it on for a few hours unattended, but when I came back it was re-loading windows xp. I assumed it had restarted(for unknown reasons) but it never loaded and stayed on the loading screen for at least an hour.

Upon restarting the computer a new message came up that read:
"Scanning IDE drives......" then after a short pause was "No drives attached to fasttrack controller, the BIOS is not installed." This is probally explaining the problem, but im not sure how to fix it.

After this im given the option to start windows normally, in safe mode, safe mode with networking, or last known good configuration. normally and last known configuration dont do anything but bring me back to the continuous loading screen.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
You may not like the answer. :tazz: Sound like your hard drive may have failed. Do you have another to test?

DSOTM

DSOTM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
are you serious? while I dont have another hard drive, is there any other way to check? or is the only way to toss it and get a new one..... :tazz:

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Check the BIOS and see if any drives are identified. If not, you could try reseating the cables and trying again. If still nothing, then your drive is likely dead.

If the drive does show in BIOS, we'll have to try something else.

DSOTM

DSOTM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
will do when i get home in a few hours. thanks for trying to help me through this :tazz:

DSOTM

DSOTM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Sorry I've been gone on vacation and sorta left my pc for a while.....

I restarted and the hard disk is recognized as "serial_CHO MASTER maxtor 6Y160M0"

Fastrack 378 BIOS scanned with the result of no drive attached to IDE controller.

I am then sent to safe mode where I can access all my files. Is the hard disk totally dead?....or salvagable? is it possible a cable is unplugged?

I have backed up my files, is there any use in reformatting and re-loading xp?

:tazz:

Alex_Harris

Alex_Harris

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I thought the FastTrak 378 controller was for the SATA drives. It might be something as simple as the machine is trying to use the SATA drive to boot off of instead of the IDE hard drive. Just an idea though.