Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP does not get through Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

phredex

phredex

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Help, I am new at this. I have been trying to get my laptop to start. Worked fine on Friday afternoon, put it away and came home. turned it on and got to the encryption screen entered passwords and windows started to load, but stopped. Turned off, and went to G2G on other machine.

Tried everything that was suggested including safe mode start up. when I do this, I get a screen full of drivers and it stops on pxhelp.

I have gotten into the bios but do not know where to go from here.

This is a four year old Toshiba Satellite a65 running XP home.

I have never had a problem with it before, and I have tons of things on it that i need to keep, I do not have the recovery disk, it all came preloaded from new. I am the only owner of the machine. :)

In reading these threads about very similar issues, I have seen information on a repair function in the bios, but do not see this option on my machine, what am I missing?

Also, it will not go anywhere but the Safe Mode startup, unless I enter the bios.

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello phredex,
Does the machine run in safe mode?
From what you posted it sounds like it does not boot all of the way.
The repair That you are describing is not from the BIOS, but from a small partition on the hard drive.
At start up you press F10 to start the repair.
If the partition is functional it will wipe out any data that you have, and reinstall the os to factory settings.
If the machine does boot in to safe mode there is most likely a driver conflict.

phredex

phredex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, Thanks for getting back to me.

No the machine does not make it past the startup in safe mode, it gets into a screen full of drivers and stops on one thats says pxhel20.sys.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
May I ask what your level of technical ability is?
Do you have data on this drive that is not backed up (and you can not loose)?
You stated that you do not have a disc that you can run the recovery console from (to try to repair Windows), are you wanting to try and restore the computer back to factory settings?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
The process PxHelper Device Driver for Windows or Px Engine Device Driver for Windows 2000/XP belongs to the software PxHelp or RecordNow! or ESSSONIC or Sonic RecordNow! or Dell Media Experience or Pioneer RecordNow DX or Sonic MyDVD or Sonic RecordNow! Deluxe or Sonic RecordNow DX or Sonic MyDVD Plus or Microsoft Plus! Digital Media or 1CLICK DivxToDVD or Px Engine Device Driver for Windows 2000/XP or Sonic_PrimoSDK or Corel Photo Album or HP RecordNow or IBM RecordNow! or Sonic MyDVD LE or Sonic RecordNow Copy or Roxio Easy Media Creator or Microsoft Digital Image Suite or Roxio RecordNow Copy or HP DigitalMedia Archive or Sonic RecordNow! Plus or Adobe Photoshop Lightroom or Yahoo! Music Jukebox or Roxio Media Manager by VERITAS Software, Inc (www.veritas.com) or Sonic Solutions (www.sonic.com).

Description: File PxHelp20.sys is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32\drivers. Known file sizes on Windows XP are 20640 bytes (36% of all occurrence), 20576 bytes, 20016 bytes, 46080 bytes, 36624 bytes, 36528 bytes, 36560 bytes, 43528 bytes, 17168 bytes, 17136 bytes, 20176 bytes, 17232 bytes, 36592 bytes, 16288 bytes, 20368 bytes, 19840 bytes, 16416 bytes, 17184 bytes, 43872 bytes, 16000 bytes, 15680 bytes, 44224 bytes, 16160 bytes, 13392 bytes, 20512 bytes, 12208 bytes, 65 bytes, 36496 bytes.
The driver can be started or stopped from Services in the Control Panel or by other programs. The program is not visible. There is no detailed description of this service. The file is not a Windows system file. PxHelp20.sys seems to be a compressed file. Therefore the technical security rating is 36% dangerous, however also read the users reviews.

Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as PxHelp20.sys, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the PxHelp20.sys process on your pc whether it is pest.
I realy should read the whole thing before I post

Edited by hfcg, 30 March 2008 - 08:53 AM.

phredex

phredex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
My technical knowlege is sporadic, not bad, but not to your level. I do have data that it would be really good to not lose, but...

The reason I was looking for the recovery is from some other posts on topics that sound suspiciously similar to my issue.

Right now, I can not get into the system at all, normal or safe. When I tell it to go to last known good configuration it starts to load up windows, very brief blue flash and then starts up again, and goes through the same process.

Very frustrating

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I think that we can repair this with the recovery console.
There is a way to get the recovery console if you do not have the disc.
Please give me some time to find this before you do any thing that could remove your data.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Please look at post number three here
You may have to follow the second link and save the file to your computer.
Do you know how to burn an ISO?

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
This link is a very good tutorial for burning images.

phredex

phredex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
OK I have the disk burned as an image. Can you please walk me through this one?

Fotunately, I have another machine, as I can not get the first one to do a darn thing.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
  • Make sure that the CD/DVD drive is the first boot device. (in BIOS).
  • Start the computer with the disc in the drive.
  • (Select R for repair) In the recovery console command prompt, type fixmbr.
I am skipping the check disk (chkdsk) command because you are not getting an unmountable boot disc error.

phredex

phredex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi again,

OK did all of that, now what?

phredex

phredex

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
now I am getting a message that tells me that "the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems"

This does not sound good at all to me.

hfcg

hfcg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts

now I am getting a message that tells me that "the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems"

This does not sound good at all to me.

This is not what I was hopeing for.
Do you have the ability to;
  • Remove the hard drive,
  • Hook the drive up to another machine as a secondary drive,
  • And copy the data?
You will most likely have to restore the OS from the recovery partition, loosing all of your data.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you could do this and not have to remove the drive...puppy linux is what I use to recover data from unbootable systems to save all the data before doing anything else
puppy will load and run totally in ram...

get puppy linux...Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd ...if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ......in this case its puppy linux
3. Select the ISO file
4. Suggestion ==> Check the option "Fix close"
5. Click on "Start"

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...
after you get it running and your at the desktop...you take the puppy linux cd out and then you can use the burner to copy all yor data to cd/dvds
you can also use it to backup your data to a external usb harddrive..just have it hooked to the computer when you boot up with puppy...
==========================
quick guide for saving data...music..files on a system that will not boot using puppy Linux..

after you get to puppy desktop..
click on the drives icon...looks like a flash drive...top row..it will list all the drives connected to

your computer...

click on the red icon for the drive you want to mount...in this case its a flash drive ...puppy will

mount the drive..the drive icon turns green when its mounted...
minimize the drives mounter window..you will need it again in a few minutes..
drag the right edge of it sideways to shrink it to its narrowest size...then drag the window to the
right edge of the screen...

now click on the icon that looks like a filing cabinet (kind of yellow) on the main drive...it should
already be green..
you will see a list of all the folders on the main drive Usually your C: drive..shrink that window to

the narrowest you can..drag that window to the left side of the screen...
at this point you should have 2 windows open on your desktop..the flash drive on the right side..
go back to the folders on the C: drive...click on the documents and settings folder...then your user
name or all users..find the folders that has your data..
drag and drop the folder with the data you want to make copies of to the flash drive window...

your options are to move ..copy ect...JUST COPY..if its to big you will have to open the folder and
drag and drop individual files until the flash drive is full...(I have a 120 GB external USB drive for
big data recovery jobs and a 4 GB flash drive for the smaller jobs)..after you get the files copied to
the flash drive...
Click on the drives mounter you minimized earlier
UNMOUNT THE FLASH DRIVE by clicking on the green icon..you will once in awhile get error messages when
unmounting the drive..ignore them..when the flash drive icon turns red again its safe to remove the
flash drive..trot on over (stroll if you want to look cool) to another computer and plug in the flash

drive and copy all the data files ( I drag and drop) to the other computer..
make sure the other computer can read them...

now delete the data on the flash drive...take it back to the misbehaving computer and plug it in

again..click on the drives icon again and repeat until you have all your data transferred to the working
system..