Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot Problem

• Please log in to reply

buzz25

buzz25

• Pip
  • 1 posts
So this is a bit of a complex problem but I will be as clear as I can.
p.s. I am a complete newbie

I am running Vista Ultimate.
I installed Vista updates from microsoft and got BSOD and went dead.
I tried rebooting into safe mode but it would crash and restart the computer before the OS loaded up.
I found an old XP SP1 boot disk from an ancient compaq laptop and thought I would use that to install XP and figure out what went wrong.
The XP setup utility started and I allowed it to copy files into my C:/Windows folder (So I guess it overwrote the old Vista files in that folder)
Then it asked me to restart the computer but I got "Error Loading Operating System"
I rebooted and restarted XP setup and can access th Recovery Console but don't know anything about Recovery Console and what I should look for or do.

I have a Vista Ultimate DVD and tried to boot from there but it still gives me "Error Loading Operating System"

I have a CD with "Active BootDisk" on it but even that doesn't load up. It still gives "Error Loading Operating System"

I read somehwere that I may need to change my BIOS settings but I keep getting prompted for a BIOS password and don't know what it is since this machine has had several previous owners.

I am completely lost now and would appreciate any help I could get.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go! I assume there's nothing on this machine you want to keep? Are you able to successfully boot from the Windows Vista DVD? If no, you'll likely need to adjust your BIOS settings to move the CD-ROM drive first in the boot order.