Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Networking With Vista

• Please log in to reply

yazuki101

yazuki101

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have just begun my CIS degree, and already people are requesting I help them with their tech issues. One person in particular has a relatively simple request; he would like to be able to access his simply accounting over his network. I was wondering if it would be possible to do such a thing with vista.

I realize that this is a simple request, and that I could probably figure it out just sitting at his laptop and messing around for a bit. But in this instance I need to solve it as quickly and efficiently as possible from his perspective, as it may lead to a lot of business in the future. Hence, I felt I would be better off preparing myself as much as I can in advance of actually sitting down at his laptop.

To reiterate my quandary a little more succinctly, I would like to know if it is at all possible to launch programs installed on one computer, from another one in the same network. I have worked it out mentally as best I could, I figure if I were to make the root folder for the program a shared file, then theoretically that should mean he could go into the folder from any machine on the network (securities permitting) and launch the .exe file. Does this statement seem in error to anyone?

Also, would it be a better decision to make an ad-hoc network? Or perhaps a VPN? I have just begun absorbing information on networking (aside from simple at home wireless on xp) so I would appreciate any advice I can get regarding this topic. Thanks in advance for any and all information in response to this post.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go!

Although you are using Windows Vista, and this section is the right one for Vista posts, I rather think your post would receive better attention in the 'Networking' section if you don't get any help in this one. I think you'll need to use 'Remote Desktop' (a Microsoft application built into Vista) to access programs installed on a different computer on your network, otherwise you will need to install the program onto the actual PC you want to use it on (bearing in mind that most licences allow you to have only one copy on one PC at any one time, which is probably why you are asking the question in order to avoid this restriction. I'm surprised it doesn't get asked more often).

Beyond that my knowledge of networking is limited to my own setup -- two computers sharing the same b/band connection, and that's as far as I go!

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
I am assuming that this is not a domain?
You would have to have the program on both computers so that you can open the files
With the program on both computers you would be able to work on a file from ether machine.
Remote dektop would work, but the files would stay on the first machine. (the one being accesseed).

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
yazuki101,

Some application software is designed to allow the software to be installed on a server and run via a PC networked to that server. This is NOT true of all applications as most applications need .DLLs and other files installed and registered on the local PC's hard drive. Typically - the way to handle this is to install the application on BOTH PC's where it needs to be accessed - but place the programs data or database files in a shared folder on a networked PC or server. Even in this case - you need a program that allows for file-sharing if you want more than one user in the application at a time.

Running the actual application program files over a network can be slow and bog down your network - so depending on your setup - it's best to install the application on each local workstation's hard drive where it needs to be used.

Remote Desktop - which uses Microsoft Terminal Service basically allows you to remotely access a PC via a network. It allows you to log into a PC and take control of that PC's screen, mouse, keyboard, etc. This is useful if you need to remotely access applications from home that you normally use in your office.

Hope this helps

- John

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
I would like to request that no other staff respond to this thread. There are some very specific issues that need to be addressed.

I have moved this topic to the application forum.

GeeksToGO does not support people who get "paid" to fix someone else's problem. However, I feel that the education learned from this discussion is far more beneficial at this time.

Simply Accounting is a Sage product. They offer a lot of different products. Although I have not supported PeachTree in many years, I do know that it supports networking (aka enterprise environments). I think that some additional information is needed. For example he wants to run it from the network. What is he actually trying to do? That is very important to ascertain. As what he asked for and what he needs can be completely different.

As was pointed out, there are some "generic" solutions and general issues with running an application on a network. I think you could easily get in over your head. You certainly don't want to mess up someone's financial info. If I were you, I would at least start with thier web page and see what kind of options, features are offered. Before you go to the client and ask for clarification, you need to be somewhat familiar with the product.