Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

print screen button won't work

• Please log in to reply

jaydawg3000

jaydawg3000

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
When i hit the print screen button it makes the cursor dissappear like it's suppossed to but when i want to paste it into photoshop or paint it won't paste... i get the thing i copied before :)

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
What are you trying to copy? Sometimes a particular application won't let you use prnt-scr, you might try opening the file with another application. For a client screen use alt+prnt-scr.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Tried both Paint and Photoshop. Both worked just fine.

Paint should work as normal, but you have to bring focus to each window when you press Print Screen then go to Paint and press Ctrl+V. I even opened Paint after doing the Print Screen so that didn't matter either. Image was in the Clipboard.

In Photoshop, you must open a new image (File>New) and set the size that you want it before you can paste (Ctrl+V) into Photoshop. Be sure to give a name to your image.

If you want to ensure your Clipboard (Now Clipboard Viewer in XP) is cleared, follow these steps:

a) Begin by first clicking on the Start Button.
b) Then click on Run Icon, which will open up the Run Menu for you.
c) Locate the white area of the screen next to the word Open: in the Run Menu.
d) Now type in the abbreviated word Clipbrd and click on the OK button to launch the Program.
e) Notice how the Clipboard contains a record of your recent copy and paste inputs.
f) To empty your Clipboard, click on the word Edit located within your top tool bar area.
g) Then click on the word Delete from the pull down menu that appears.
h) Windows will ask you if you want to Clear the contents of the Clipboard.
i) Click on the Yes button to allow Windows to clear the Clipboard.
j) Notice how your former imputed information is now cleared from the Clipboard.
k) Then close the Clipbook Viewer Window to return to your Windows session.

Ron

Related:

Microsoft Word and Clipboard

jaydawg3000

jaydawg3000

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
both things didn't work... i tried alt+prntscr and ctrl+prntscr and it didn't work... tried clearing my clip board too... i did prntscr and looked at what was on my clipboard and it said there wasn't enough memory to showw it... would that have to do with anything... i only had photoshop and firefox open so...

Suzee3

Suzee3

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Read this First - Solution to "Print Screen Button Won't Work"
I too was searching for an answer, help or support to solve this same frustrating problem.
I must have spent hours doing Google searches, Microsoft FAQ, going into forums and nobody had the correct solution. It became so frustrating, when it was working all other times, then suddenly it didn't work. So I just had to figure out why it wasn't working this time.

Luckily it was one simple thing. Its the "F Lock" Key ! :)

How simple can it get ? All you need to do is press the F Lock key once and the "PrtScn" button function will copy whatever is on your computer screen.

The "F Lock" Key is a toggle button, meaning it works as an On/Off button.

So if you've been tearing your hair out because this Print Screen button won't work, give it a try right now, press that F Lock key, then press PrtScn key, go to where you want to place your copy of the computer screen, either use your keys Ctrl V or the Paste function in the Edit menu, and I assure you it will now work !