Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Wireless Modem and Wireless Router Connection

• Please log in to reply

Lafugia

Lafugia

• Pip
  • 1 posts
We purchased a Netgear RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N Router with our new Dell desktop. When I tried to hook up the router to connect my two computers, I realized that my modem is not compatible. My modem is provided by my cell phone company and is connected to my computer via a USB port. No place to plug in the Ethernet cable from the router. I would try connecting the two computers to gether with a crossover CAT5 cable, but one computer has Windows XP and the other has Windows Vista, and I was told this could create problems. Can I still use this router wirelessly? Or can I purchase an adapter? All adapters that I looked at have male USB ends on them. My modem also has a male end. Can I use a female to female gender changer to rig this, or will it cause problems? Or should I just purchase a whole different type of router? Not sure what kind to get or what to do.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What type of modem is it, ADSL or DSL? What's the model number of your Netgear router?
You need the right type of router for the right type of phoneline that you're on - they're not interchangeable.
You will be able to use both computers wirelessly, you don't need any cable whatsoever if that's the router you choose. The Windows on the machines is, to all intents and purposes, irrelevant.