Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Computer has random segments of freezing.

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Hey guys.

So the problem started about a three weeks ago. My computer randomly froze one night. It was very frequent, so I figured that, since my old hard drive was very old, that I would replace it - I have a custom. So I did, and it's been fine for three weeks; until an hour ago. It started randomly freezing up again. So I resocketed almost everything (somethings are harder to reach than others in this ancient case - it was only the one stick of RAM that I can't grab without much hassle)) and wiped off the dust from the parts I could get - even dusted off my power supply fan and CPU fan with some cotton swabs.

Anyway, after doing that, my computer hasn't been acting up since I turned it back on, which was about ten minutes ago. But assuming that it does start to act up again, I want to know what your theories are. I really don't think it's the hard drive. Maybe one of my parts is overheating? Old parts coming to their end?

I know it's pretty vague, but I'm trying to be as descriptive as possible. Thanks for reading.

Edit 1: The freezing happened again about ten minutes ago. So I guess it's not the dust. It's probably one of my parts. The computer went about twenty to thirty minutes before it started freezing randomly. My video card died a few months ago, and I replaced it with an old Radeon 9100 that my uncle happened to have to spare (I don't do much on this computer, so I don't need a high-end video card). I saw my DVD-ROM drive acting up a little bit before the freezing happened, so I disconnected that. Next time this happens, I'll try swapping video cards.

Edited by sw619, 30 March 2008 - 03:04 PM.