Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

laptop graphic card

• Please log in to reply

benwah333

benwah333

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello i just bought a dell inspiron 9300 laptop and i already need to upgrade it, a surprise i know, haha. Anyways it has a 128mb Ati mobility x300 graphics card which is the bottom of ATI's line of notebook graphics card. I want to upgrade the video card, im pretty sure it might be more involving then upgrading the RAM. My question is is there a manual online or some online resource you could direct me to with instruction on how to change out the video card in a notebook. I also need to know a place when i can purchase graphic cards for notebooks because im having trouble finding a retailer. thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You are out of luck. Laptops don't have a removable graphics card. They have a graphics chip soldered permanently on to the main board, and this is not upgradeable. I'm not surprised you're having trouble finding a supplier --- these components are strictly for the laptop production factories, supplied directly to them by the chip makers. Apart from the hard disk and RAM, a laptop is not upgradeable.

Yppolitia

Yppolitia

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Have you tried looking on the Dell website for and FAQ?

Edited by Yppolitia, 25 April 2005 - 08:54 AM.

benwah333

benwah333

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
actually i called dell and my video card is not integrated. i will just have to take off the keyboard, palm rest, and the graphic card cooling system and i can remove the video card. the only thing the graphics card i want is 320 bucks and i have to buy it from dell cause i cant find another supplier. btw it's a nvidia geforce go 6800