Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New RAM issue

• Please log in to reply

fairywings2005

fairywings2005

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi, i would really appreciate any help i can get.
I have a pc that is only about 14 months old, it has a Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-RH MBoard in it and had a 512 MB DDR 400 RAM 3200, I was having some trouble with a couple of games that turned out to be because they needed more than the 512 MB or ram to run properly. We tried to take the 512MB Ram out of the old computer and put it in with mine but the system wouldn't even boot up so we took it out and found it was slightly different so i spoke to a tech guy at a computer shop about what i needed to buy and then found what i wanted and bought two 1GB Rams (the tech guy said the mother board was set up to be able to take 2GB so that shouldn't have been a problem) I put them in the computer and it is showing the increase in ram so they are connected correctly and the games play without issue now, but then last night while playing the game i got a blue screen of death, not sure exactly what it said but it only happened the one time, but then it wouldn't let me back into the game, everytime i try to load it i get error messages and then the game closes, first message is End of file"maps\singleplayer\me-fourkingdoms\Map Data.xml"! then the next time i try to load the game it doesn't even open the menu and gives me the error message failed to load file : menu/fonts/humanistikaCom.ttf

I tried to unistall the program and was having trouble with that too but have since managed to uninstall the game

I tried to look in the system this morning and got another blue screen of death this one reads
IRQL-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL
STOP: 0x0000000A (0x00650084, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x804EE452)

I'm fairly sure this is not the same as the first blue screen of death i had last night
Is this an issue with my new ram

thanks in advance to anyone who can help

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Bad computer memory is one of the three main reasons for random system crashing..hanging...BSOD.. the other two are heat (usually caused by fans or heatsinks being blocked with dust) or power issues...
first...

lets make sure its not your memory going bad...get memtest + here....
the lowdown is here...

if you have a floppy drive you can get the 6th one down ...set the bios to boot from the floppy drive A: first...then the cd drive then the Hard drive C:
or you can get the 2nd one down and burn the ISO file to a cd and then boot it from the cd drive...let memtest run for at least 2 hours...if it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the RAM...no errors after 2 hours just press Esc to end the tests and we will try some other tests

go here and get everest home...install and launch it...click the + by computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

NOTE...if you have any problems running memtest... Windows Memory Diagnostic may run the tests....you can get it here..

fairywings2005

fairywings2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thank you happyrck, i ran the memtest for 2 hours and it started with errors straight away, I don't understand why they are bad though as they are brand new and there shouldn't be any problems with them, hopefully i can get them exchanged and not have the same problem.

I ran the everest test too just to make sure the temps are good anyway, are these temps ok

thanks again for your help

Field Value
Sensor Properties
Sensor Type Winbond W83647HF (ISA 290h)

Temperatures
Motherboard 38 °C (100 °F)
CPU 45 °C (113 °F)
Seagate ST3250820AS 44 °C (111 °F)

Cooling Fans
CPU 3245 RPM

Voltage Values
CPU Core 1.20 V
Aux 2.62 V
+3.3 V 3.30 V
+5 V 5.51 V
+12 V 12.46 V
-12 V 4.01 V
-5 V 3.95 V
+5 V Standby 4.97 V
VBAT Battery 2.03 V
Debug Info F FF 34 FF
Debug Info T 38 45 208
Debug Info V B3 A4 CE CD CD E6 E8 (01)

Edited by fairywings2005, 30 March 2008 - 10:34 PM.

fairywings2005

fairywings2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
okay well i couldn't believe that both of the new ram could be bad so i decided to memtest them individually and it turns out that only one of them is bad

so thank you very much for telling me about the memtest happyrck it helped big time

by the way does it matter which slot they are in, if there is something wrong with the slot would it show as errors on the test or would the computer just not load at all?

fairywings2005

fairywings2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
okay well i couldn't believe that both of the new ram could be bad so i decided to memtest them individually and it turns out that only one of them is bad

so thank you very much for telling me about the memtest happyrck it helped big time

by the way does it matter which slot they are in, if there is something wrong with the slot would it show as errors on the test or would the computer just not load at all?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

you could test the good stick in the slot the bad one was in to see if its the slot itself or the ram...
you will have to read the mobo manual to see if when only using 1 stick of ram it has to be in a particular slot ..
example ...asus A8N-E ..requires that a single stick be put in slot B1...
you should be able to boot and run with a single stick of ram

fairywings2005

fairywings2005

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks for that happyrck, i just did that and it is definately one of the sticks, the good stick worked fine in the other slot
Now all i have to do is sort out an exchange and everything is sorted.

Thanks so much for your help, i never would have found the memtest on my own, it was a huge help.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :)