Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

2Wire, linksys and the Xbox 360

• Please log in to reply

crazygerad

crazygerad

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Ok, I use a 2Wire modem for my ADSL connection. It is the Homeportal 1800HW. My xbox 360 doesn't has wireless capabilities so I got this Linksys model: WRT54GS. I have tried many times to make linksys and 2wire see each other with no success. Any help is appreciated.

Advertisements

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
crazygerad,

If you want your XBOX 360 to access the Internet via your ADSL modem, you need a standard CAT5 Ethernet patch cable - which has 8 wires - but only actually uses 4 of those 8 wires. The two wires you're referring to will only work to connect your ADSL modem to you phone line. Your XBOX WILL NOT support a 2-wire connection. Basically, you'd use the same type of cord on your XBOX 360 that you'd use to connect a PC to your ADSL modem.

Hope this helps.

- John

crazygerad

crazygerad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well the xbox is in another room. The idea was to connect the xbox to the linksys. Linksys having wireless capabilities would connect to the 2wire and thus the xbox would get the connection. Sort of using the Linksys as a wireless bridge of sorts.

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
crazygerad,

Let's back up a few steps....Here's what I can tell from your posts:

1) You have an Internet connection via ADSL using a ADSL modem.

2) You have a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router (hopefully ATTACHED to your ADSL modem)

3) You're trying to get your XBOX-360 (which DOES NOT HAVE WIRELESS CAPABILITY) onto the Internet via your existing ADSL Modem/Linksys
Router.

Your Linksys router supports both WIRED and WIRELESS connections.

http://www.linksys.c...d=6187941396B10

First you need to make sure that your Linksys router is properly connected and configured to work with your ADSL Internet modem/provider/service.

Question? Are there other wireless or Wired PC's or devices accessing the Internet via your Linksys router? If so, then you should be close to getting your XBOX 360 talking to the Internet via your Linksys router. If NOT, then you need to get your Linksys router configured correctly to work with your ADSL modem/Internet Provider's service.

Let me know if you have other PC's or devices successfully connecting to the Internet via your Linksys router. Before I know this - it's difficult for me to point you in the right direction. ADSL tends to use PPPoE connections which require usernames and passwords to be configured on your router in order for you to access the Internet.

I think I can better help you if you give me a bit more info.

John Hook

crazygerad

crazygerad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
1) I have an ADSL connection a 2Wire Router is connected to it. Computer is connected to it. Laptop is accessing it wirelessly.

2) I want the linksys to communicate with the 2Wire.

3) Xbox 360 is about 30-50 feet away from the 2Wire Router and it doesn't has wifi-capability. I have the Linksys router and I want to connect the 360 to it so it can have internet access.

My problem so far is getting the linksys become part of the 2wire network or that they can communicate with each other.

2wire is using WPA with a password. I tried inputting this on Linksys security using the 2Wire network name and inputting all the linksys passphrases with the same password 2wire is using but I am having no success.

DaSnowMan5

DaSnowMan5

• Pip
  • 1 posts
the 2Wire he is referring to is a brand. 2wire.com Anyways, this is most likely an ADSL router and from his post I would assume also has wireless capabilities. He is basically wanting to use the linksys as a bridge or basically an Access point to the existing router. I am not familiar with the linksys router you are referring to but hopefully I can point you in the right direction on how to search for this information. Basically, you want the router to be an access point only, you do not want it acting as a router. A router separates the networks and will assign its own IP addresses. you want this function to be provided by the 2wire router.

Also I noticed you had mentioned the 2Wire is using WPA, log into your 2Wire router and change this to WEP-OPEN, it is much more compatible with other systems.

Another route you may be interested in going is they have network power plug adapters you can buy. You would plug in one into a power outlet near your router and attach in the cat5 patch cord into the router, and another plug nearby the Xbox with a cat5 patch cord into your xbox. I would try to make sure the plugs are directly into the wall and not into any power strips etc, as these may filter out the static on the electrical lines. BTW, the static is what these plugs are creating, or should I say, they are using a frequency that is not common to an electrical line to which to transport your data across the lines.

Good Luck

Edited by DaSnowMan5, 09 April 2009 - 07:36 PM.

spaceassmonkey

spaceassmonkey

• Pip
  • 1 posts
youre an idiot for buying a linksys to hook up the xbox to a 2 wire the 2 wire is a router and modem in one its capable of wireless connection the reason why you have wireless connection with the laptop because they have wireless adapters inside of them and will pick up on the 2wire. i know everything there is to know about 2wires i actually do customer service on it as well for AT&T. now there are only two ways you can hook up the xbox to the 2wire one is the simple way with the ethernet cord and two you must have a wireless adapter for the xbox for it to recognize the connection if you dont have either then go buy one the cheapest is probably get a long ethernet cord. remember if you put a linksys router with another router youre just wasting your time and the two are going to have a conflict with each other.