Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't change desktop wallpaper, "spyware warning"

• Please log in to reply

khanabanana

khanabanana

• Pip
  • 1 posts
First of all, I will apologize now for my lack of computer knowledge. Please bare with me....

Came home today from being out of town and my desktop wallpaper has been hijacked (I guess) and I cannot change it back. States in red "Warning! You're in danger! Your computer is infected with spyware...." blah blah blah (with blue backround). My husband doesn't know what happened (whatever). There is a new small icon on the desktop (in lower right hand side, looks like a shield with red, green, blue & yellow) that leads me to a spyware site called PC Security Center. Don't think it would be a good idea to download this site's product.

Have had no luck trying anything I could think of so far: tried to change the wallpaper, no success; tried the web tab & customize to see if a website was "checked", none to "uncheck"; tried Spyware Doctor, no luck (lead me to an unavailable web page when I tried to "fix checked"; tried System Restore for 3 different dates, all unsuccessful (SR was unable to restore settings to those dates); even tried AVG Antivirus' scan & removal, but didn't do the trick. I'm at my wits end here and could use any help I can get.

Thanks for your time.

Advertisements