Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE does not display pdf files

• Please log in to reply

fpoldy

fpoldy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have Windows 98. I recently upgraded to Internet Explorer 6.0. IE now does not display Adobe Acrobat pdf files. I have Acrobat Reader 5.0. If I do a Google search (say) and click on a pdf file I just get a blank with the little rectangle (with square, circle and triangle inside) in the top left corner.

The file C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll is present.

How do I make IE recognise pdf files?

Franzi Poldy

Advertisements

TonyKlein

TonyKlein

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 642 posts
  • MVP
Hi, and welcome!

Here are a few things to do/check:

1) In Acrobat Reader, go to Edit > Preferences > Options, and make sure "show pdf in Browser" and "Check browser settings..." are checked.

2) In Internet Explorer, go to Internet Options/Advanced, and make sure that "Enable third party browser extensions" is checked.

3) Make sure ActiveX is not set to "disabled": In Internet Options > Security > Internet, hit "Default Level", and click OK.

If still no joy, uninstall and reinstall Acrobat Reader.

Tell us how you get on.

Good luck!