Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows explorer keeps freezing and dr watson gives me an error

• Please log in to reply

dam59

dam59

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hello,

Whenever I attempt to open a media file on my external hard drive or usb drive, windows explorer freezes and dr watson pops up with an error. I have no idea what to do, please advise. I am running AVG antivirus, spyware blaster, spywareguard, zone alarm, and frequent scans of ad-aware, spybot, wise disk cleaner, and wise registry cleaner.

I posted this topic in the Malware forum thinking that it might be a virus/spyware problem, but the expert told me this was not malware related.

Here is a link to what I have already done with the Malware expert.

http://www.geekstogo...94#entry1201994

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello dam59,
Windows XP Explorer has a 'feature' to provide a preview in the Details box on the left of the file you have selected, if it’s supported. Image files, HTML pages, video clips, MP3s, etc are all previewed (even with the folder view open).

If you have a large movie clip and it either is corrupt (ie. no index from a partial download) or it uses an unsupported codec, then Explorer tries to load the whole file. This can slow your computer a lot and prevent deleting/renaming/moving/etc the file until it’s finished.

Simply do the following:
  • Click Start, then Run, type regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll and click "Ok".
  • A window will pop up saying that the file has been unregistered successfully. (If you don't receive this window, or the window gives an error, then please post that in your reply.)
  • Reboot your computer and see if the problem persists.