Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

5.8ghz Cordless Phone

• Please log in to reply

gutterman

gutterman

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
So I have a 5.8ghz cordless phone I am using at home. The phone base needs to sit relatively close to the Time Warner modem and wireless router, because of cable lengths. There used to be a time when I had no interference, but all of a sudden it kicked in. Standing antenna to antenna with the phone and base resolves nothing. There are strong and weak spots, but no clear spots.

Could someone next door have added a device to significantly throw my device off. What makes no sense is that there were periods of time that I had no issue. Would my router and phone being on the same channel effect it?

Tips are greatly appreciated and encouraged!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Try changing the channel on the router.
This does sound like an interference issue.
Also do check if somebody next door has bought any new wireless equipment, TV senders, cordless telephones, etc recently.

gutterman

gutterman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
My neighbors next door don't have my technical equipment, however all signs (based on timing and randomness) point to it being a newly added device causing interference.

My router runs on 2.4 and my phone on 5.8, so changing channels shouldn't effect much, if anything. However I did mess between 11 different channels on my router. Saving the settings one at a time, I checked my signal strength on my phone by listening, and it never improved.

I plugged the digital phone line from the modem into another RC-11 jack in the wall. I moved the base station downstairs and reconnected from an RC-11 jack downstairs. The only noticeable difference is now instead of having to be antenna to antenna with the base station, I can be within a two foot radius and get at one point or another, a perfect signal.

Man, I'm really at a loss on this one. I'd love to just shut the power off to my neighbors and hope for the best but no luck.

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello gutterman,
Have you tried moving the router?
Any electrical device can cause interference; A fan, light dimmer switch, TV, ETC...
Your phone would only interfere when it is in use, and it is not on the same frequency as the router, so I would look for something else.
Has a neighbor installed a new garage door opener?

gutterman

gutterman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I tried putting the phone in my kitchen which has virtually no electronics other than a crappy fold down 7" lcd tv. That room had a worse signal than when I moved it into my living room, which as considerably more electronics. (HDTV, XBox 360 with Wireless, etc.) So I'm starting to doubt its my electronics in my own house. Frankly, I don't add new devices often and if this happened the same day as say, me installing a new router, I'd consider my devices.

I'm starting ton conclude its my neighbors devices but there really isn't much I can do to change their habits. We don't get along as it is. Do you guys have any suggestions about trying a new type of cordless phone? I was tempted with hooking up my old 2.4ghz cordless and see what happens, although I doubt it'd be helpful.

Stupid Stupid Stupid neighbors.