Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Need Help with Task Scheduler

• Please log in to reply

fireforge

fireforge

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi everyone! After a recent infection of my computer, my windows task scheduler will no longer work. Stamper19 has worked me through the infection problem, and he said I should talk to ya'll about the scheduler issue. My task manager was also disabled, but I was able to manually reset it, but Im not having any luck with the scheduler. I can't seem to locate it in Administrative Tools/ services, so I don't know what the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Im running Windows XP Media Center Edition! Thanks :)

Advertisements

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Hey there Fireforge,

Can you try to go to
Start -> Run
Type in "CMD" and hit enter.
Once in the command prompt type "schtasks".
Please let me know the result.

Regards,
Olrik

fireforge

fireforge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hey Olrik!
When I enter the command, it brings up a list of the sceduled tasks, which are for Norton and Spysweeper to do their sweeps. The service will still not respond though. When in Schedulded Tasks in Control Panel, trying to start the service, or get more information leads to the error: 0x80041315 Task Scheduler service is not running.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
Try this:

Go to Start -> Run
Type in "Services.msc" and hit enter.
Scroll down to where it says "Task Scheduler".

See if it is turned off. To turn it on:
Right click on "Task Scheduler" and hit "Start"

Regards,
Olrik

fireforge

fireforge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
For some reason, Task Scheduler isn't showing up in this list....

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,888 posts
I think its time to do a repair with the windows disk.
But before you do this:
It is extremely important that you backup important data that is not available from other media sources. This backup should be located on a separate hard drive, CD, DVD, network storage, etc. that will not be affected by the repair install.

Find your Windows Disk and put it in your CD-ROM Drive.
Reboot your PC and make sure you can boot from your CD-ROM.
Boot from your Windows Disk by pressing a key when instructed to then wait for the loading screen to finish.
You'll see something like this screen:
http://www.wap.org/j...Mac-XPstart.jpg (a bit vague but does the job.)

When you reach this screen press the "Enter" key.
You should then get a list of windows installation.
When you see this list, Hit "R".
If there is not such an option, Stop immidiately, reboot the computer and report back.
NOTE: You do Not want to load the recovery console on this screen.

If you get a "Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD." message, if you continue, you will need to apply the SP 2 updates after the repair install completes

Regards,
Olrik

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
you could also run an sfc /scannow from the command prompt with the OS disk in the drive. It's more predictable than a repair install (which ruined my old laptop). If that doesn't work, we'd send you to a repair install anyways. so why not give sfc a shot?

EDIT: XP MCE? was it OEM, or did you buy it? OEM MCE hates sfc....

Edited by The Admiral, 02 April 2008 - 02:37 AM.

fireforge

fireforge

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
It was OEM. Maybe I'll hold off a while. We just got the computer running after getting infected, and I'd hate to mess it up trying to get task scheduler to run. Thanks for your help ya'll. I'll hollar back when I'm brave enough to try a repair install :)