Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Confusion with Cable and ADSL2(+)

• Please log in to reply

JayJay

JayJay

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi all,
After changing over from ADSL to Cable, i have noticed great speed increases with downloading from http and ftp.
However, i have been having great difficulty with port forwarding - affecting gaming and/or bittorrenting.

Here's the thing. I have been reading reports of success with port forwarding on Cable - no doubt this is correct. I had little difficulty doing the same thing on ADSL. But upon making the switch to cable, things have been a little more difficult. I have not been able to forward/open one single port since the change. Some details are:

Optus Cable
Motorola SB5100 Cable Modem
TP-LINK Wifi Router

Ok, so, is it the fact that the SB5100 is not a router (i have heard that all ports are open by default, but every scan and test i have done show that all are closed)?
Would an all in one Unit do the job with less hassle?

If i was to buy another box (cable modem+router), there are some things i need to clarify first.

Firstly, Is ADSL2+ a speed specification, or is it pertaining to the splitting of the phone line like standard ADSL?
Secondly, are all references that are made to Cable internet and Cable Modems pertaining to the Coax cable infrastructure? For example, are all modems that are 'Cable Modems/Routers' able to be plugged into a Coax internet cable?

Sorrt about that last one, but that is what confuses me....I dont want to buy a Cable router only to find out that it uses a phone cable like ADSL.

Well, if you managed to decipher all that garbage, i'd be glad to read any feedback and possibly answers.
Thanks,
Flash.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Port Forwarding is a feature of the router, and not all routers handle this with the grace and flair of other routers. Some of them just don't want to know.

ADSL2 is next generation broadband after ADSL. It's an entirely different thing from cable. ADSL broadband equipment will not work on Cable/DSL lines and vice versa.
For cable Internet, you normally use the modem the provider sent you, plug it into the WAN port on the box and then configure the box with your provider details. This is almost always Ethernet.

JayJay

JayJay

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Ok, so if i was to buy a Cable Modem Router, it would surely work with the Coax Cable infrastructure?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Cable/DSL Routers work on cable lines.