Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Ways to undelete / retrieve / unsave Excel Files ? ? ?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

TheWern

TheWern

• PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi,

Whilst I was working on one spreadsheet, I wanted to open another existing file. But, instead of going 'File' and 'Open', I clicked on 'File' then 'save as'. I then selected the file I wanted to open and clicked yes to the pop-up question before realizing that I had just 'saved as' not 'opened'.

Now ABC.xls is duplicated in DEF.xls.

Is there a way to restore DEF.xls to how it was originally ? ? :) :) :)

A net search came up with a MS answer which sounded like what I want but there are no instructions on how to implement:-
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/150368

I hereby promise not to muck about with important files whilst talking on the cell phone ever again ! ! ! ! ! ! :)

Thanks again,

Advertisements

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Hi there,

The problem is that you didn't delete the file, if this were the case there would be a chance to retrieve it as there are programs available to recover files in your case, if I understand right, is that you over-wrote an exsisting file.. so DEF.xls is now ABC.xls, if thats the case then getting DEF.xls back is not do-able as far as I know.

I'm sorry! I tried to replicate it myself hoping I could find a way!

Maybe someone else will come along with better news. And a side note: With very important documents set it to "Read only" by right clicking on the file > clicking on "properties" and checking "Read-only" this will prevent this accident from repeating itself! Also make backups by copying the file to a different location.

Good luck,

Mike

TheWern

TheWern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Hi Suerte,
Did you look at the Microsoft Help page? I have copie a part below... in Red that suggests that the Excel program 'deletes' the file and that it can possibly be resurected. But unfortunately, the rest of that article is above my head.

SUMMARY
In Microsoft Excel, if you save unwanted changes to a file, you may be able to recover the original file.
MORE INFORMATION
When you save changes a Microsoft Excel file, the following occurs:

• The changed file is saved to a temporary file.
• The original file is deleted.
• The temporary file is renamed to the original file name.
For additional information, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
103329 (http://support.micro...b/103329/EN-US/) XL: Error Message When You Try to Save a File
The deleted original file is located in the same directory or folder as the newly modified file in Windows. On the Macintosh, temporary files are placed in an invisible folder called Temporary Items in the root level of the hard disk.

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts
Hi there, from here on I would probably be pointing you in the wrong direction, from what I know and have experienced is that when I save file A as file B, the contents of File B is overwritten and as a result you get the contents of File A with the name of File B (confusing enough :)) and I do not know a way. After looking over the article it seems you can use a recovery program and "undelete" the file, how and with what is beyond me. There are many techs here much more able to help you and they will come around in due time.

Sorry!

Mike

TheWern

TheWern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 82 posts
Thanks for trying Mike.

I tried using ParetoLogic but could not find the file amongst the list.
The article seems to suggest the use of a DOS command

Anyone? ? ? ?

Thanks