Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Custom Shortcut Key Problem

• Please log in to reply

jester620

jester620

• PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Hey guys,

I ran across this problem this morning and need help fixing it.

I have documents stored in folders on my system and have quick shortcuts to them sitting on my desktop. This way if/when I get delete-happy with my desktop icons, I don't accidentally delete important documents/folders.

I ran across a great way to access them earlier this month that I began using. I assigned F10 to a shortcut (Word document) on my desktop. I recently deleted that shortcut as I finished using that document. Now when I try to assign F10 to another document, it won't work.

I'm assigning shortcut keys using the Properties dialog of the shortcut on the desktop. I love this option as I can be working on a document and hit F9 and it brings up windows calculator immediately. All without having to get a different keyboard than the default Dell keyboard.

Ideas?

Windows XP Pro SP2
P4 2.80GHz
1.0GB RAM

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
From what I can see, you need to press and hold Ctrl+Alt+F10 to set the shortcut, then the same to use it. Using just F10 does not work for me at all.

I just did Ctrl+Alt+F12 for one shortcut, then removed it and used it for another and it worked fine.

Also, try setting it to None and clicking Apply, then set it for what you want, click Apply then OK.

Edit: I never thought about doing this, so thanks for the tip. I've setup 10 shortcuts, very cool.

Edited by Ztruker, 02 April 2008 - 06:27 PM.

jester620

jester620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Actually you can do just F10 etc. However, some are used commonly by other programs i.e. F11 = fullscreen browser.

I don't have a problem assigning a keystroke to a shortcut and removing and reassigning it... I do that all the time with others.

The problem is with this one where I deleted it and cannot unassign F10 (aka assign "None" to it then delete it). So Windows thinks F10 is still assigned to a file.

I wonder if there is a registry key that will reset windows to default shortcut keys... i'm open to options...

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
You could try scanning the registry for the word F10.

jester620

jester620

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
Update:
I seemed to have fixed this weird problem.

I knew the name of the shortcut I deleted that had the shortcut key assigned and the source file that the shortcut pointed to. So I just recreated the shortcut and looked to see if there was a shortcut key assigned by windows. And low and behold it was there!

So I unassigned the shortcut key to "None" and then was able to delete the shortcut. Now I can assign F10 to another shortcut again!

All is right in the universe once again. :)

tspmtel

tspmtel

• Pip
  • 1 posts
what about for those who don't remember where the shortcut was and its name?