Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

more boot issues

• Please log in to reply

fixerup

fixerup

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
okay same problem as before my computer loads to the press del to enter setup screen and stops there only this time i tried resetting the cmos like last time but it was unsuccessful. anyother suggestions

specs

asus m2n32 sli deluxe
patriot ddr2 ram 2g
amd x2 4600

Edited by fixerup, 01 April 2008 - 01:07 PM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I went to your other topic.. that first happened on jan 9th ...has it been running ok since then...
add any new hardware or software recently...
update windows or any other program..
what were you doing just before this happened...

first I would replace the mobo battery ...they only cost about $6.00 and without a good battery ...you will not be able to do anything...

fixerup

fixerup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
i have not added any new hardware since the last time and i had not recently installed anything that hasnt been on there for months. when it happend i was watching some youtube video or something the audio when all scratchy and the computer froze solid....so i restarted and bam wouldnt reboot

fixerup

fixerup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
well i replaced the mobo battery today and still nothing so what should i try next

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
can you get into your bios...if so try setting the default settings...usually F5 but read the screen to be sure...
then F 10 ...usually ...but read the screen to be sure...to save your settings and exit...
can you get into safe mode by tapping the F8 or F5 key as soon as you power up..

Edited by happyrck, 02 April 2008 - 04:06 PM.

fixerup

fixerup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
no i cannot boot safe mode and i cannot enter bios the keyboard only gets power for a half a second so if i'm quick i can hit delete but then it just says loading..... and freezes there

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
lets test your memory first and if that does not show any errors you will have to do a repair..
caused by fans or heatsinks being blocked with dust) or power issues...
first...
get memtest + here....
the lowdown is here...you can also download them from that link

if you have a floppy drive you can get the 6th one down ...set the bios to boot from the floppy drive A: first...then the cd drive then the Hard drive C:
or you can get the 2nd one down and burn the ISO file to a cd and then boot it from the cd drive...let memtest run for at least 2 hours...if it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the RAM...no errors after 2 hours just press Esc to end the tests and we will try some other tests

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

nojoy
then try to repair xp...instructions are here...

fixerup

fixerup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
okay it wont boot from cd i cant enter bios all the stuff you listed to do is not possible because of where if freezes.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I assume you did what wannabe1 told you do in this thread here..
clearing the CMOS
open up the case...does the cpu fan spin up when you press the power button...what about the psu fan...case fans...does a led on the mobo lite up...can you hear the hard drive spin up...
do you have another power supply to try...
disconnect everything except the monitor ...1 stick of ram and a keyboard that you know works...power it up

fixerup

fixerup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
yes the all the fans turn on the power supply fan looks like its spinning slow but is on. the little green light on the mobo is on as well with all the fans is hard to hear but i think the hd is spinning not sure though. im not sure if i have a powersupply on hand i might be able to borrow one though.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

disconnect everything except the monitor ...1 stick of ram and a keyboard that you know works

did you try this...

fixerup

fixerup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
yes i tried that i disconnected the hd the cd and left the video card

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you will have to try another power supply and if that doesn't work to at least let you get to the bios..then either the mobo or cpu is bad

fixerup

fixerup

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
i tried a power supply that i know works cause i'm using it right now on this computer and i still got the same thing boot failed in same spot unable to enter bios. now the computer i'm using has the same type of processor so i could swap out the processor but i really dont think thats the problem. see when i built my computer they sent me a faulty processor i rma'd 3 mobos before we realized it was the processor but with the bad processor the computer would not boot at all it would turn on for 5 seconds and shut off. i dont know much about processors and how they work so i dont know if they react the same when they go bad so lemme know what you think i should do i would greatly appreciate it

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I know its a PITA but I would take the cpu and put it in the working computer...if the computer boots up and runs then you know the cpu is good...then if your working system takes the same ram...do the same with it...still working..do the same with the video card..
the reason to pull them for the non bootable system and put them into the good system (one component at a time) is because all those components and the mobo could be causing the boot problem..if all the components work in the good system you will know its the mobo thats bad..
if the ram is different or not supported in the working computer ...take the ram to a local repair shop and have them test it for you..