Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Linksys WRT54GS internet problems

• Please log in to reply

scott452

scott452

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hey, this is my problem:
Got a Linksys WRT54GS router with 2 computers linked wirelessly and 1 wired to it. The problem is that the internet (through firefox or internet explorer) keeps on going down, BUT i can download things (through utorrent or normal downloading in firefox) without any problems. Even when i can't internet i can still download things. My connection to the router is fine and never drops. I have tried resetting it, powering everything off and on.
Any ideas??

Thanks for any replys, Scott

Advertisements

Radien

Radien

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
I actually have a similar problem with my WRT54GC Linksys modem. Basically, my wireless connection to the router is fine, but the router isn't properly connecting to the internet. I suspect my problem has something to do with IP gateway assignment, because I'm using Comcast, which has automatic IP assignment, but there doesn't seem to be a proper option to select for automatic IP gateway when I set up my router with the Linksys CD.

I'm guessing that certain programs I use, such as IM programs, directly connect to the source without using a gateway. (Admittedly, my terminology may be messed up.) Anyone familiar enough with Linksys to let Scott452 and I know what we should change about our setup? :/ I already called Comcast and they were no help.

Edited by Radien, 03 April 2008 - 09:18 PM.

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Radien,

My first thought is that you might have a DNS issue - i.e. your browser can't get to those sights because it can't resolve the domain name by address. With many routers, I've resorted to hard-coding the ISP's DNS server(s) addresses into your IP settings in the IP protocol configurations under Windows.

First, I would try DIRECTLY connecting your PC to your Comcast cable modem (bypass the Linksys router altogether). In these configuration, are you able to browse the Internet with Firefox or IE or WHATEVER? If you CAN, then there's likely an issue with the way in which the router is passing on IP configuration information from the Comcast modem to the PCs (wireless or wired) connected to it.

Removed information regarding P2P, as it is against our TOU

It may be as simple as determining your Comcast's DNS server(s) IP address and assigning it manually on each PC in order to get your browsers working correctly. I use Comcast here and my DNS servers are:

Linksys has a pretty decent support site when it comes to configuring particular applications. Go to:

http://www.linksys.c...d=6187941396B10

Check this out first. If this doesn't help, post a reply to this thread and I'll attempt to steer you in the right direction.

- John Hook

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Administrator
  • 20,955 posts
  • MVP
John_Hook,

Geeks to Go does not provide support for P2P programs, ever. Please don't provide information about how to get P2P programs to work. This is spelled out in our TOU:

We will not support or allow the discussion of any peer to peer (P2P) applications, except for their removal.

sari

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Oops - MY BAD! I will NOT reply to any posts about P2P or address ANYTHING that eludes to or provides support for P2P software in the future.

- John