Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

looking for PSU and Case

• Please log in to reply

Dov Chodoff

Dov Chodoff

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I am in the process of buying/building a new computer and I need some help with the last 2 parts.

This is what I have so far:
- Intel E4500
- XFX 680i LT Mother Board
- XFX 8600GT XXX Video Card
- Crucial Ballistix 2GB DDR2 800

I also need to get a HD - I am looking at either a 250GB or 320GB - Most likely WD or Seagate.

What I need help with is the PSU and the Case.
Since now I know what I have and how much power it will use - for the PSU I was looking at the Seasonic S12II series - 430W.
As for the Case I was looking at the NZXT Hush - Since I heard a lot about the noise the 8600GT Cards and the Fans on the MoBo, and this is supposed to solve that issue.

My biggest question is if the 430W PSU will be enough for my needs... at this time I am not planing on adding to much and if I do (another Video Card) I know I will have to get different PSU as well. But will this do for now (with the above specs plus a couple of HDs)??

Any other advice about the Case would be great.
I am open to suggestions here.
Thanks,
-Dov C.

Advertisements

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
Welcome to GeeksToGo!

What is your budget for the Case/Power supply?
Seasonic is very reliable manufacturer and 430W should be sufficient but if you're upgrading something, it'll be better for you in a long run to get a higher capacity power supply.
Some of the Corsair power supplies are made my Seasonic and the other company that makes Corsair's power supply is also a reliable one so any of the Corsair's should be good. You can also get Antec, Silverstone, PC Power & Cooling, OCZ, etc...

Case is subjective, it depends on which looks nice for you. There are a couple of popular ones like Antec P182, Antec 900, CoolerMaster CM690, etc....
This will all depend on how much you are willing to spend. Give us the budget and we'll recommend you something. Computer case costs varies, there are some decent one at $50. Also there are some distinct differences between cases, some are good for cooling, some are quiet, some have nice lighting (LED) and some have a window.

For the hard drive, I personally use WD and none has failed yet (I have 4 WD drives and all works well). However, Seagate is also a good manufacturer but I have no experience with them.
Just to let you know that WD only have 3 year warranty compared to Seagate's 5 years. If you are going with Seagate, get the 7200.11 model as this is quieter than the 7200.10 model.

Kamille

Edited by kamille316, 01 April 2008 - 04:46 PM.

Dov Chodoff

Dov Chodoff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

My budget is not to high at this point but, I am also living in Israel so prices are not always the same as one would find them in the U.S. or Canada.
Looking at the examples you gave it looks like those would be in my price range (more or less).

I am basically looking for something that will keep my system quiet without over heating it (again since I understand that the VC is loud) - I am a nooB to OCing so I expect that it will be done very slowly and very carefully - as far as extra heat is concerned.

Thanks again for the advice,
-Dov

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
For the case, I recommend the Antec P182, its very good in keeping your computer silent, as for cooling it is decent, maybe add more or replace the stock case fans to better ones. Also temperature of your components will vary depending on the ambient temperature of the room its located because the fans are basically just taking the air from outside of the case and using that to cool the components. If the ambient temperature is too hot then having more fans would not do anything better. Having a lot of case fans does not necessarily mean better cooling. Ensure you have more exhaust fans than intake fans so that air inside the case is exhausted and would not stay inside for too long.
I know someone who has an Antec P182 and it is very quiet compared to what I have (Coolermaster CM 690). I couldn't really hear much from the case unless I put my ear really really close to the case.

For the power supply, I have a Corsair HX620 which is a modular power supply (you only connect the cables you need so you wouldn't have any unused cables dangling inside your case). This is a bit expensive so I suggest getting something like this Corsair 550W.
Since I don't know how much it would cost over there, so any of the below will also work great:
- Silverstone 500W
- Antec TruePower Trio 550W
- OCZ GameXtream 600W

I just have to comment on buying another video card, if you're saying that you're going to buy another 8600GT and doing an SLI, I suggest just getting a powerful card like the 8800GT or the 8800GTS 512MB (G92) as having two 8600GT is not that powerful but if you're not a heavy gamer (like playing crysis in a very high resolution and full settings) then I guess this setup would be okay.

Kamille