Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Im having problems with sound...

• Please log in to reply

Virick214

Virick214

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
I just built my computer and everything was working great, but then i realized the my sound wasn't working. This is about 3 days since i loaded all the drivers and got the computer working the way i want.

My sound is integrated into the mother board, and the driver i installed for sound is "Realtek AC'97 Audio CODECs" or something close to that.

I have tried reinstalling the driver, and that worked once but the a few hours later my sound went out again and installing the driver again didn't work.

Can anyone help me?

Advertisements

caspdown

caspdown

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
i know it sounds dumb but make sure sound is not muted....i see that alot at work eh, also if its still not working do this. start , run , dxdiag, after it loads up hit save all information and copy and paste it here so i can see what your using.

Virick214

Virick214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I attached the DxDiag.txt, so hopefully that works.

Attached Files

Virick214

Virick214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Well, i just started up a game of Unreal Tournament 2004 and the sound worked. So i guess i don't need the help anymore. But if you find anything unusual in the DxDiag i would appreciate the information.

Thanks

Virick214

Virick214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Scratch the last post. My sound just went out again...thanks for the help.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
What motherboard do you have?
Goto the manufactuers website and look for updated drivers.
Run DxDiag again and do the sound test, post errors back here.

Rick

Virick214

Virick214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I have a VNF4 Ultra NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra and i have all of the latest drivers.

Here is the DxDiag again...

Attached Files

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Have you tried the latest drivers from http://www.realtek.com.tw/ ?

Virick214

Virick214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
I went to that site but i couldn't figure out which one i was supposed to download, i would appreciate some direction though.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Go Here

Download the one that say's Windows 98gold/98se/me/2000/XP/2003.

I ain't expecting this to work but because the dxdiag showed you were using a driver that is not digitally signed you might as well give it a try. When a drive is digitally signed all that it means is that MS has tested the driver to be compatible it does not mean that it won't or is not working.

If this don't work and the system is otherwise stable/running good I would just get a sound card and install it, it does not have to be a expensive one. There seems to be a lot of sound problems lately on new builds using this onboard sound chip and the only way around it at least that I have found is to purchase a card.

Disable the onboard sound in bios before installing a sound card.

Rick

Virick214

Virick214

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
You were right, the update didn't work. I guess i'll just order a cheap sound card aff of newegg.com or something.

Thanks for all the help!