Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Help restore factory settings

• Please log in to reply

firebox

firebox

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Well my 120GB hard drive is nearly full with junk and the computer has turned extremely slow in general use / start-up etc.

Ideally what I want to do is restore factory settings but I have come across a few problems.

Initially the hard drive was partitioned with the factory settings, but I have no idea how to get at it.

Also, the Packard Bell computer came with Windows XP already installed so I don't have a Windows boot disk, although it is a legal copy.

When the computer got repaired for whatever reason a couple of years ago, all the Packard bell options and programs dissapeared, so the trick of using F11 on the Packard Bell screen does not work.

Any ideas?

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Packard Bell NEC
System Model: 00000000000000000000000
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.06GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 471MB used, 1992MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Edit: The last system restore point is yesterday so that is not really an option. An I want to do a destructive restore as I have everything I need backed up.

Edited by firebox, 01 April 2008 - 03:04 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
What was done to the computer when it was repaired previously?

firebox

firebox

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
The video card died and I couldn't get the computer to turn on.

The guy that fixed it put in a new video card, as well as doing some weird stuff such as installing a legit version of Nero and Limewire Pro. Other than that I dont know what he did.

Dellica

Dellica

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
From my experience, which was with IMB/lenovo material, the functionality of the F11 button to do a restore to factory settings is not something linked to your currently installed windows, once you get the restore to run you can choose to completely restore your hard drive to its factory settings which will bring a clean windows install and tools as it was first delivered to you.

Other manufacturers also need the use of a certain version or Norton Ghost for you to able to access the restoredrive and restore to the original image they have provided you with.

Most of the manufacturers provide you with a factoryimage on a hidden parition which you can't see and the software on the PC can find on its own and perform or you can get to it with Norton Ghost.

Hope this helps you further.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Are you sure you have to press F11 to restore the system? Please double check. Boot the computer and press Pause/Break when the first data screen shows up. Let us know what is written there as far as system restore is concerned. Also, write down the computer model and serial number. Without that it's impossible to get into Packard Bell's technical support (I would look into the user manual).