Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

virtual ram problem and ccSvcHst.exe help

• Please log in to reply

tikitime

tikitime

• Pip
  • 2 posts
i recently got an error that said virtual ram is running low so i googled it and found a site that told me to go to task manager and check the virtual memory usage and i did and a program called ccScvHst.exe is using 1,879,912 K this didnt seem right to me and my computer has slowed to a crawl please help

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
welcome to Geeks 2 Go tikitime... :)

reboot...
now what is your swap file set to...
right click on my computer..properties...advanced tab...in the performance area click on settings
then the advanced tab again...what does is say in the virtual memory
The most common culprit is what's called a "memory leak". This is when a program running on your PC reserves some of your computer's memory for itself, and then loses track of it. The net effect is that the program loses the ability to release that memory for other programs to use. And if a program has a memory leak in some operation that it performs regularly, it can slowly eat up more and more of your system's memory until there's little left for any other programs.
for the complete lowdown including how to figure out the misbehaving app ..go here..

Edited by happyrck, 01 April 2008 - 04:14 PM.

tikitime

tikitime

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
i restarted my computer and then it said it was only 180,000ish K of virtual mem but the computer was still extremely slow and i read that norten 360 was having problems idk what site i was looking arond so i uninstalled norten to see if that was the problem and the computer has been running smothly but i do not have an anti virus program enabled should i try reinstalling norten or can you recommend a good anti virus program? thanks for the help

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...get avg here...did you use the norton uninstaller here to get rid of norton...