Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Making a drive, other than the C drive, the default drive

• Please log in to reply

hc6700

hc6700

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
I have 2 250GB HDDs in a Raid 0 array, with 2 partitions (C & D). The C drive is just 15GB for XP. My D drive is 465GB. When I download or install anything, I want my system to install it on my D drive by default, rather than having to go through the usual process of custom installations. I was told you can do this using TweakUI. I downloaded Tweak but was unable to figure out how to use this powertoy to accomplish my goal.
If anyone knows how to use TweakUI to make my D drive the default drive, please let me know. If you know any other way of accomplishing this task, other than using Tweak, please let me know that as well.
Thanks
HC

Edited by hc6700, 01 April 2008 - 03:39 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Most programs by design will install to the Windows drive. In your case this is Drive C. It is not possible to change the drive letter of your Windows drive. This behaviour of installation routines still prevails for legacy reasons.

hc6700

hc6700

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I don't want to change the drive letter of the C drive. I just want to set things up so that applications will automatically download to the D drive, instead of the C drive. Is that possible using TweakUI or any other method.
thanks
hc

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Like I say, most applications will offer default installation paths on the Windows Drive, which in your case is Drive C. If your system was set up with Windows on Drive D (for example), the same installation routines would offer D:\Program Files\Company\Program.

This is not realistically the sort of thing that TweakUI can help with as it's a deep internal Windows issue.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Most download managers allow you to define the default location for downloads. You could check into some of them. A Google search for download manager gets lots of hits.

Won't solve all your concerns but should help quite a bit.

AlErT

AlErT

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
using first time almost every download manager (i am using IDM) ask for the default location to be set for each time of file.
so first time you give the path you want and thenm your files would be automatically downloaded to that path