Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Office XP Service Pack 3

• Please log in to reply

Artc44

Artc44

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have a Dell computer with XP home. My problem is every time I put on my computer it wants me to update to Office xp service pack 3. When it's starts to download,it then ask me install Microsoft office XP Professional with Front Page. My problem is I don't have the CD, never had it, I called Microsoft they don't have it any longer, and they have no answers. I need help,thanks.

Advertisements

AlErT

AlErT

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
hello Artc44,

i read your problem so you have two choices wether you want that your computer dont ask for updates or you want latest version of office .tell me your choice so that we can assist you further.

thanks

Sarah Jane Smith

Sarah Jane Smith

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I found the stand alone patch so that you can get SP3. You can get it here. http://download.micr...ullfile-enu.exe It shouldn't require an installation disk. Once it is installed, you will no longer get the annoying pop-up. It is "A self-extracting executable (EXE) file that contains two full-file update for Office XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)." I got it directly off of the Microsoft website.

Artc44

Artc44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'll try that, thank you very much.

Artc44

Artc44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
No luck,downloaded the file then it asked for the disk,back to square one, need some help!

Sarah Jane Smith

Sarah Jane Smith

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Well, if you can't get the update then you should just disable it. Go to http://www.update.microsoft.com and click custom. It will say checking for latest updates on your computer. This screen will be up for several minutes as your computer is scanned and it connects with the Microsoft server. Afterwards there will be a list of available updates. Also, it may want to do a few critical updates before it lets you see all available updates. Once you get a list of all available updates, look for the Office XP SP3 update and click on the plus sign next to it. Uncheck the box next to the update and check the box under the update that says "don't show this update again". Then click the button at the top that say "review and install updates" While you are there, you might as well install any critical updates that are available for your computer. At this point the SP3 update will be hidden and you should no longer be asked to install it. Please let me know if this works. --Sarah Jane Smith

Edited by Sarah Jane Smith, 10 April 2008 - 09:52 PM.

Sarah Jane Smith

Sarah Jane Smith

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
One more thing. You should stop all of the updates listed under Microsoft office. There will probably be more than one update listed. --Sarah Jane Smith

Artc44

Artc44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'll try that, but am I missing anything important,without those updates.

Sarah Jane Smith

Sarah Jane Smith

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

I'll try that, but am I missing anything important,without those updates.

You'll never notice the difference.