Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

hal.dll error

• Please log in to reply

pjack0

pjack0

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a Dell XPS desktop and get the hal.dll missing message every 2-4 weeks. I am able to reformat and re-install everything and the system works fine for a few weeks then crashes again! I have replaced the hard drive to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions of what could be causing this? I had the computer in the US for about 9 months before moving to Australia without ever having this prolem, it started since I have moved here! Is it possible that I have a bad (faulty) power supply? Searching for answers before I give up and buy a new system! :)

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hmmmm.... in my experience the hal.dll error is caused by a bad boot.ini file, specifically if it is pointing to the wrong partition on the disk. Have you noticed that something you do causes the error? Are you using any third-party programs to clean up your computer (registry optimizers, file cleaners, etc)?
And next time this happens, I want you to just try running a fixboot from the recovery console. ask again if it happens again and we'll walk you through it.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Power supply could be a problem. The only variable that could affect the computer is the voltage difference (220 in Auatralia, 110 in the US). Do you have a switch on your power supply unit that enables changing voltage?

Edited by The Skeptic, 02 April 2008 - 11:49 AM.