Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

64 bit vista

• Please log in to reply

viperz

viperz

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Hey again!
Now i know all the problems about 64 bit vista, however i am going to get it! But is it true as long as your motherboard is compatible with the 64 bit vista, then all the other hardware which is compatible to the motherboard (ram, hard drive ect) will work as well?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Yes this is the case, but the problems can begin when you start adding other cards in - such as a wireless PCI card, for example.

Cheers

Troy

viperz

viperz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
so il have to look out for the sound card, wireless card. thats it?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

As long as you can find 64-bit drivers for all components you intend to use for the build, then you'll be fine. If you like, list all the components and we can help.

Cheers,

Troy

viperz

viperz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Ok thanks, this is all the components i will be using for my computer!
(click to zoom in)
http://i70.photobuck.../mycomputer.jpg

Edited by viperz, 02 April 2008 - 09:46 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I see two potential problems - the Netgear wireless PCI card, and the Sound Blaster Audigy sound card.

For the Netgear wireless card, I need to know the exact model number. I personally have a WG311 v3, for example - and there are no 64-bit drivers for my card, hence I went with 32-bit. Post your exact model and we'll see what we can find on the Netgear support website.

For the sound card, judging from this link it looks like you're set to go!

So we're only hanging on the Netgear wireless card, at present.

Cheers

Troy

P.S. Do you have a mouse in that build? :)

viperz

viperz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
ok thank you! ha soz! this is the mouse ill be using http://www.novatech.....html?LOG-MX518, as for the wireless card its a NETGEAR's WG311T 108 Mbps Wireless PCI Adapter. So that motherboard is ok?

****ive just found out that wireless card is not compatible with 64 bit vista! infact i cannot find one wireless networking card which is compatible with 64 bit vista, alot of people are having the same problem!****

Edited by viperz, 02 April 2008 - 06:04 PM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Yes that motherboard is fine. I just researched all three revisions (1.0, 2.0, 2.1) and all of them have 64-bit drivers available for download.

I guess if you don't need the wireless card, then you could go 64-bit, otherwise you're like me - stuck with 32-bit. :)

Cheers

Troy

viperz

viperz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
isnt their some kind of wireless base station you can use yo connect to the router? that plugs into the usb port or something?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

I guess a product like that could be available out there somewhere, but it's going to need drivers also... And so you'll need to check if it has 64-bit Vista drivers - which is the same kind of predicament we're in already!

You could use an ethernet cable? (Possibly a really long one?) :)

Cheers

Troy

viperz

viperz

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
ok! i think its gona b a long cable! lol, thanks for all the help!

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
I have the WMP54GS and it works fine with 64-bit Vista, despite not advertising the fact that it does. I wouldn't be surprised if this is the case with other wireless cards as well.