Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

windows xp appearance missing

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

1uptheman

1uptheman

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
after i went into safe mode to get rid of a browser hijacker, i noticed that my windows XP looked different. my appearance and theme settings were set to windows classic, and when i click on the Appearance tab, there is no "Windows XP" to choose from the "windows and buttons" menu. would fixing the following in High Jack This have something to do with it?

O20 - Winlogon Notify: NavLogon - C:\WINDOWS\System32\NavLogon.dll

i accidently fixed that (even though it wasn't required to get rid of the virus i had) and afraid i deleted something important. so i guess that is two problems i have. if you have any tips on how to get my desktop to look like windows XP again, or how to restore the winlogon notify thing, i'd really appreciate it!

Advertisements

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP
hi there! It is not a good idea to fix things randomly in HJT yourself. You can seriously mess thing up on your system as you have found out. Please stick with your merged threads Here and we will help you. you DO have malware taht cannot be removed simply by fixing them with HJT. Please post a current HJT log in your above thread, and I will help you restore the backup, AND clean your system up.