Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problem installing norton systemworks

• Please log in to reply

ox411

ox411

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
when i try to install norton system works from their web site, i download the trial version to my computer and i get an icon on my desktop, when i click on the icon i get a little box that pops up and says "extracting files" but after it finishes extracting, i get another pop up box titled "windows script host" with an error message:

Can not find script file "C:\DOCUME~1\JOSH&D~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\HideConsoleWindow.vbs".

when i type that error message into google, i dont get a lot of hits, and most of them are in Japanese.

ive had no problems installing other programs this week, even other norton programs

nortons tech support was no help at all, so let me know if anyone has any suggestions. thanks

-josh

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This behaviour may be caused by other anti-virus software on the computer. Either that or some program on the system is interfering.

Knight Chat X

Knight Chat X

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Found a solution, I had the same problem with the latest Norton SystemWorks Beta, I did a search and found a similiar problem existed with Norton SystemWorks 2007, here's the steps I followed that worked:

Install Norton SystemWorks 2009
1 Try and Run the NSWBETA.exe to attempt to install Norton SystemWorks.
2 Click OK when you recieve the Windows Script Host error message.
3 Click Start > Run.
4 In the Run dialog box, type the following text:
%temp%
5 Click OK to open your temporary-files folder.
6 In the temporary-files folder, open the NSWBE1200BETA folder.
7 In the NSWBE1200BETA folder, double-click the Setup.exe file.
8 Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation of Norton SystemWorks.

The problem is weird because it only happened on 1 of my machines so far but not the other ones, so it's probably something to do with the setup script for the installation.

ravi25

ravi25

• Pip
  • 1 posts
If you are using XP click on Start-> Run.
In Run type %temp% click on OK
Then find NSW folder open it there will be another NSW folder open it and double click on ESDSTART
This will launch the installation menu.
This is an OS issue this happens if vbscript.dll file of your OS is not registered