Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD problem

• Please log in to reply

den01

den01

• PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi,

I hope you will be able to help me. In the last few days my PC keeps freezing for a few sec, and that some blue screen (never got all the details from that screen but its something about MASHINE EXEPTION or something like that – I’ll try to take the photo next time) – but here is the log from event viewer:

---
Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10016
Date: 02/04/2008
Time: 10:03:17
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Computer: D-5XXXXXXXX
Description:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE SID (S-1-5-20). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.
---

I have search the web quite a few times about this but it seems that there are no direct answers to this. Would you please advice me what can be the problem and how to sort this out.

More info: I had this error in the last few months but let say maybe twice a week, but now is even few times a day.
I don’t have any viruses or spyware.
I have on PC XP pro.
In addition I have Microsoft’s sql server and visual web developer installed – it seems that there is maybe the problem somewhere – although this is only the guess…

Thank you for any advice.

Regards,

Den

Advertisements

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Well… update to my previous post…

I have open the box, clean it – it was dusty – and in last few hours pc is running just fine…

Can all problems be just because of the dust?

Thanks. Regards,

Den

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Dust cause heat, heat causes problems, so yes, it can be the root of many failures, some transient, some permanent (hardware damage). Sounds like your was transient, that's very good.

You need to turn off Automatic Restart so when you do get a BSOD, you will be able to read what it says, record the information and post it here if you have problems in the future.

Right click on My Computer.
Click Properties / Advanced / Startup and Recovery Settings.
Uncheck box for "Automatically restart".

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi Ztruker - thank you for reply.

I have unchecked box for "Automatically restars" for all time.

This morning it crashes, and somehow I have feeling that there must be something else – not only dust – in any case, all error logs are as in my first post.

Thanks. Regards,

Den

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
You say it crashed this morning. Did you get a blue screen error and if so what did it say?

Anyway, this is not your exact problem but the debugging/repair method sounds like it would apply: http://geekswithblog.../19/101568.aspx

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi Ztruker,

Thank you for your reply.

I have read this as well – but what I have done is I have gone to component services > computers > my computer > DCOM config and than on netman property’s security tab under launch and activation permition I have click on default – so will see what will happen in few hours. I did this because I couldn’t add “Network Services” in there as “add new”

I’ll keep you posted… Hopefully this will work…

Regards,

Den

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10016
Date: 07/04/2008
Time: 11:21:26
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Computer: DXXXXXXXXXX
Description:
The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{BA126AD1-2166-11D1-B1D0-00805FC1270E}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE SID (S-1-5-20). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

and I have attached the screenshot (image01)

I have read everything what is on the web regarding this error but non of the solutions didn’t work.

Would you please be able on whet can be the problem?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Den

PS. Second image (image02) is the screenshot from event viewer… as you can see, there are a lot of errors - but all of them have description as above…

Attached Thumbnails

• image01.jpg
  • image02.gif

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Den, that's a hardware failure. Did you read this? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329284

Are you overclocking your cpu?

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi Ztruker – thank you for reply.

I have read that link on microsoft’s site – well, I didn’t do anything to the setup (as I can recall) – would you please advice me what should I look for (and where).

I can although remember some time ago Keith (this great guy helped me very often – I think his name now is “hats off”) here on forum went with me trough some other problems and he advice me about the setting the time (the post is here: http://www.geekstogo...en-t111506.html) - is this the same?

In any case, I have just check the situation and for time.windows.com its “The time has been successfully synchronised with time.windows.com” , but with time.nist.gov is error like this: “an error occurred while windows was synchronizing with time.nist.gov” – and its clicked “Automatically synchronized with an Internet time server” – is this ok?

I have read that overclocking is BIOS thingy – but I am not going to do anything till advised from you…

Thank you for your time and help. Regards,

Den

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Over clocking is done in BIOS, it changes to speed that eh CPOU or video card runs at to provide additional performance, often at the cost of stability. Since you didn't know what it is, it's unlikely that that is the case.

Since it's a hardware failure, it can also be caused by a faulty or corrupted device driver. I would start by going into Device Manager and uninstalling your current Display Adapter as follows:
  • Click on Start then Run, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter
  • Expand (click on the +) Display adapters
  • Right click on the one listed and select Uninstall
  • Click OK and Apply as necessary then close Device Manager
  • Shutdown and reboot
XP will rediscover the video card and reload the device driver. This may correct the problem. Worth a try.

Post back with results and we'll continue if needed.

Advertisements

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi Ztruker – thank you for dealing with me…

I did as you have suggested – uninstalled the driver and after the reboot xp loaded the new one (or as I can see the same one) – although have to play a bit after that to setup the resolution and frequency of the screen as it was before…

Don’t see any difference yet… maybe its important to say that pc is working absolutely fine, except this BSOD related to the error as on the beginning on the topic. I’ll probably be able to update you more in a few hours or a day about the problem – I mean if continues… so we’ll see how it goes…

In the meantime thank you very much for your time and help.

Regards,

Den

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Den, I'm going to ask some of the other techs here to take a look at your problem and see if they have any suggestions.

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi Ztruker – thank you.

Also update – it did it just now again (only Outlook and Visual Web Developer were running…)

I will wait for your advice…

Regards,

Den

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi Ztruker,

One more additional information, as pc did the same error this morning… in the moment when it crashes there is a sound from the box (kind of like “ping” – like some switch is on/off), the light on the box get constant red and mouse freezes on the place where it is… than after few seconds that BSOD message (well sometimes BSOD is immediately and sometimes for 10-15 sec ) – I think just to drop this line – maybe will help…

Thank you. Regards, Den

den01

den01

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
Hi Ztruker,

Please do you have any advice about what should try more to sort this out - hmm, its keep craching few times a day (somethimes even if i am not at pc at all?!) - the errors are always the same.

Thank you. Regards, Den