Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anti virus

• Please log in to reply

emylawson

emylawson

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My laptop came with a free 90 day trial of Norton Antivirus. This is soon due to expire so i've been searching around for new software. Problem is, i aint made of money so i need something cheap or preferably a free download.

On the download front, AVG free doesn't really appeal and im leaning towards downloading the free version of Avast.

On the other hand, I noticed Norton Antivirus being sold for ?10 (around $20) in my local Gamestation Outlet (a video game shop). It was packaged and all, but is it trustworthy for such a cheap price? Especially as Norton appears to cost around ?40 online.

I am a basic home user that uses MSN, Limewire and surfs the internet alot. I don't download a large number of things. Any opinions or advice?

Advertisements

Mike

Mike

Malware Monger

• Retired Staff
  • 2,745 posts

I am a basic home user that uses MSN, Limewire and surfs the internet alot.

:) Using Limewire will most likely get you infected even with an antivirus program. Just to get you thinking take a look at this http://www.roseindia...r_systems.shtml

As for what antivirus, Avast! , AVG, AntiVir are all reputable names and the cheapest around (free :)). I really wouldn't get Norton even if it was only for 20$, its really just bloat-ware and uses WAY to much resources however I heard that the newest version is an improvement but since I haven't used it I couldn't say if its worth buying. NOD32 or Kaspersky have high detection rates if you are looking for a suite (antivirus, firewall + realtime monitoring) and are usually recommended. Always make sure not to install more than 1 antivirus and firewall at a time (so if you use a suite don't get a standalone firewall).

Good luck,

Mike

Edited by Suerte, 02 April 2008 - 04:23 AM.

emylawson

emylawson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,
I think opting for Avast would be better option!!!!!!!

Thanx

Emy