Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

missing add or remove buttons

• Please log in to reply

gmanfan

gmanfan

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
I've looked at registry and only the programs that show the remove button is listed there. The rest are missing and there are a few files that I don't even know what they are. My Superantispyware says I'm clean. My online scan says I'm clean. I don't know if this is a trojan attack or what...can anyone help?
I have Windows XP Media Center and am running it on a Dell 1501 Laptop.

Thanks

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello gmanfan,
Where in Florida are you from?
I am nor sure what you are asking for.
Are you trying to remove a program in Add and remove programs?
Please give me a more detailed explaination.
What program are you using to view the registry?

gmanfan

gmanfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Hi, I've been living in Valrico, Fl. but am now in Germany for a few months. Anyways, I was kind of cleaning up some programs in my add or remove program panel and noticed that the "remove" button for many of my programs are no longer there. If it shows the size of the program then it shows the "remove" button, if no size, no button. I had seen another post about checking registry to see if somethign was a 1 or a 0 by running regedit and going into HKEY current users(or one of the others) and windows/microsoft/software/current files/ (or something similar to that---I don't have the page up to see) and checking to see what's there. What was there was only the programs that had current "remove" buttons but nothing like: TMASOEDL, TMASODL, my Trend Micro PC-Cillin 12, even Java....I don't know if I have a secret, secret virus that nothing is catching or if something got pressed that shouldn't have been, but then I dont' know what it would have been...
thanks for any help!

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
It is possible for the program to have been removed, but still be listed in Add and remove programs.
If there is no folder size, and no registry entries, then it has proboly been deleted.
Some times a program will have files in different locations. When a program is deleted, instead of uninstalled, some of the files may be left behind.
May I suggest that you post a Hijackthis log in the Malware forum.

gmanfan

gmanfan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Will do thanks

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
if your having problems removing programs from add/remove programs >>>try Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
you download it from here................ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
it will be able to help you remove unwanted programs