Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Good video card in micro case

• Please log in to reply

tom_81

tom_81

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello.
Can someone please advise me on some computer parts.

I do some gaming some graphics (nothing to intense) and like to watch tv (digital) on the computer.

I am building a new computer (budget ~ 700) and noticed this deal on a video card:
EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR GeForce 8800GTS 320MB

It seems like a good deal I and thought I should take advantage of it and build the rest of the computer system around it (mobo, cpu, mem etc.).

I would like to go with an Intel processor and if possible use a micro case (I know itís a big card but am hoping it will fit).

I will also need room for a digital tv card, perhaps:
Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1250 MC

Can someone please advise if a micro case is possible as well as the other components.

Thanks!

Advertisements

Richiiee

Richiiee

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hi there,

The Rosewill R5604-TBK 0.8mm SECC Screw-less Dual 120mm Fans ATX Mid Tower Computer Case is a great one. Supports standard and micro ATX. Note it doesn't come with a power supply, though. Also allows an extra 120mm case fan. Before I can recommend a motherboard, CPU or RAM, I'd have to know whether you would like to go with an Intel processor or an AMD processor. Do a bit of research if you're not sure and let me know when you've made a choice.

Richiiee

tom_81

tom_81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I was kinda hoping for a smaller case something more portable like:
Ultra Black MicroFly Aluminum Micro ATX Tower Case with Clear Sides

Would that case work? I also would like to go with an Intel CPU.

Richiiee

Richiiee

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
That case supports all dimensions of Micro ATX so any mciro ATX motherboard you chose should fit. That graphics card is pretty big, though, so I can't promise it will fit but it probably should. For an Intel CPU, any of these are good:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 or the Intel Core 2 Duo E6600. Might want to seek a second opinion on a good Intel processor, however. I'm no expert with Intel Core 2 Duos... Athlon 64 X2's are my thing.

As for a motherboard, the Foxconn G31MX-K LGA 775 Intel G31 or the Intel BLKDG33TLM LGA 775 Intel G33 or the PC CHIPS P55G LGA 775 NVIDIA GeForce 7050 are all good choices. They all also have the PCIe x16 slot you'll need for that video card, and an extra PCIe slot for that digital TV card. They also all support both of those processors. However, the Intel's max supported RAM is 8GB while the other's are 4GB max, so keep that in mind if you want to have over 4GB of RAM.

For power, please use this Power Supply Calculator and fill in the parts you think your computer might have to find out how many watts of power you'll need. Let me know what your result is so I can recommend a power supply unit.

For RAM, you should go with any of these:

G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
Patriot Extreme Performance 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory
A-DATA 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

The last RAM set is recommended for high performance and gaming use, but it should serve well for basic computer tasks as well if that's what you plan on using it for.

Richiiee

tom_81

tom_81

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for the reply. Some of the micro motherboards you mentioned already have video cards on them. Does anyone know which are the best micro motherboards (for Intel CPU) that donít have built in video?

Richiiee

Richiiee

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Integrated (built-in) video is simply a feature motherboard have. It's totally optional. If you'd like to use a video card, you can. If you don't, you can use the onboard video. Because it has the onboard video on the motherboard, you can still use a card if you want. The integrated motherboard video is completely optional. If you buy a motherboard with built-in video, you can still use that card.