Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Exe icons have disappeared from desktop and start

• Please log in to reply

viper151

viper151

• PipPip
  • 47 posts
Hi all :)

Not all but a lot of icons from exe files only have disappeared and have been replaced with the uknown file icon. That hasn't affected every icon and some of them can be restored manually(properties, change icon) But they are a lot and not everything can be restored.Some can be restored but after a restart some of them change back to unknown file icon.

also in some pages like e-radios , firefox cant load the windows media player embeded on the site and sometimes an error pops up saying something for c++ library... But music from the e-radio is playing and in the place of media player its a black line saying (no video).

Its not malware as i checked it be4.

Its something like that
Posted Image
But on every exe file on my system.Desktop, all programs, C:/program files etc.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
The first thing I would do is a System Restore to a day or two before this problem occurred, see if that clears it up.

viper151

viper151

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
It doesnt had restore points on the day the icons messed up :) And it was the first of the previous month so i cant go to february and restore it :)

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
How did you check for malware? I see you are running torrent software, which is a path for malware infections.

viper151

viper151

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
There is no malware 100% bcz i checked some days be4 here and i was clear :) Thats what i mean.Of course μTorrent is path for malware infections if u use it.. I used to use it a lot but now i've stopped for different reasons...

Also when i start to check my pc with pc tune up the program stucks on windows/ms-dos program shortcuts..Thats not coinsidence i think

DemØnik

DemØnik

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi viper151,

A small application made my Microsoft called "Tweak UI" should be able to fix this problem. Tweak UI is part of Microsoft's "Power Toys" series and allows you to make various tweaks to Windows. It is 100% freeware and can be downloaded from here.

Once downloaded, open it and and select the "Repair" tab and click 'Re-build Icons".

- DemØnik.

viper151

viper151

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Nop nothing happened..still messed up icons :)

DemØnik

DemØnik

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Have you recently moved or renamed any folders around?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try the fix from the Doug Knox site: EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files)

viper151

viper151

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
ty ztruker.Some of the icons have been fixed but some others not :) Do u know why?
Setup files are still the same mess and some shortcuts also

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Let's take things one at a time.

What specific icon is still messed up?

viper151

viper151

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
all shortcuts in all programs and all files in my computer that are executable.. Like setup programs, applications etc. Some shortcuts are ok but some other still messed.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Try refreshing the Icon cache by deleting the IconCache.db file from your profile directory (usually \Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data). It will be automatically recreated.

1. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\{username}\Local Settings\Application Data
2. Delete IconCache.db
3. Reboot

This may be a hidden system file so ...

Open Control Panel then Folder Options and click on the View tab.
Select "Show hidden files and folders"
Uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types"
Uncheck "Hide protected operating system files (recommended)" (click Yes when prompted)

Edited by Ztruker, 11 April 2008 - 06:18 PM.

viper151

viper151

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
Still got nothing :) All user accounts have the same problem not only me :)

harrythook

harrythook

Trusted Helper

• Retired Staff
  • 2,618 posts
You might want to check the Microsoft Facts article on this.
Also a clean-up of your machine is probably in order.

Harry