Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help freeing Disk Space

• Please log in to reply

Krystal111

Krystal111

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello :) Im not sure if im in the right forum, If im not im sorry. But I need help Freeing DiskSpace, because I recently baught a Adobe Photoshop Elements for work. My computer wont allow me to do anything on there, I cannot defrag my computer it says I need 15% and i only have 1% Free Space. I have deleted all the programs I do not use, and theres really nothing on my computer now but a few , and files on my computer I also did the DiskClean up. but it still is only at 1%. Please help :) I have no idea what to do! Thanks in Advance!

Take Care,
Krystal

Advertisements

Mr Freeze

Mr Freeze

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts
1%...is not enough to work with
best recommendation if you got your windows xp cd and product key...i would get another harddrive and reinstall windows on it

START>>Open control panel>> Click on SYSTEM>>SYSTEM RESTORE TAB
If the box is UNCHECKED>>>move the SLIDER BACK TO 2% or 3% click ok That will give you more space

next see if this will download and install
accept agreement and run cleanup
dont run the demo mode

http://www.stevengou...o...&Itemid=223

did you also remove any folders that were associated with any programs you removed
was your computer capable removing the programs you wanted to uninstall
you could use windows cleanup utilty

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

not sure how much space you will gain but worth a shot

pictures take up alot
try resizing them or removing the ones you dont need anymore

Edited by Mr Freeze, 02 April 2008 - 05:17 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
could you burn some or most of your data ...music...photos...to cd or dvd's at least temporally
make sure another computer can read them...then delete them off your system...

the next thing we are going to do is turn off indexing ....its a resource hog and takes up space..if you aren't searching for things on your computer 10 times a day it will only slow down your system....

click on start...my computer...right click on C: drive....properties...on the general tab..uncheck ...allow indexing on this drive....if you do not have the box on your system...

then START...RUN...type in SERVICES.MSC...then OK...scroll down until you find INDEXING SERVICE...click on it and in the general tab set it to DISABLED...then exit

To clean your temp folder, recycle bin, index.dat etc..please download this free tool...

CCleaner

Don't install any Toolbars, or other programs, should it ask you...Just
uncheck the option of installing the Yahoo toolbar....if you get
the slim version it does not have the toolbar
thats the one I recommend...

It will put a shortcut on your Desktop.

Click on CCleaner to start it....
Before first use...
Select Options then Advanced.
UNCHECK "Only delete files in Windows Temp folder older than 48 hours"
The rest of the standard settings are fine...

Then click "Run Cleaner"

DO NOT USE ANY OF THE OTHER TOOLS...RUNNING THEM MAY CAUSE OTHER PROBLEMS

after doing this see how much free space you have...you will need 15 % free in order to defrag the drive

Edited by happyrck, 02 April 2008 - 05:34 PM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
To see what is using space on your hard drive, install a program called SequoiaView. Gives you a great visual picture of what is using up drive space. Get it here: http://www.win.tue.nl/sequoiaview/. Before running SequoiaView, you should make all files and extensions visible. Do this by:

Open Control Panel / Folder Options / View Tab.
Select Show hidden files and folders.
Uncheck Hide extensions for known file types.
Uncheck Hide protected operating system files [Recommended]

Also, in SequoiaView, click on View then Color and check Enable color scheme. Makes the displayed data much easier to read.

Edited by Ztruker, 02 April 2008 - 07:44 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
another great tool to see what you have is SPACEMONGER...its free and you can get it here...
SpaceMonger maps your system's memory use according to the sizes of files and folders. The size of a box--which can represent a folder or file--quickly lets you know generally how much larger or smaller it is compared to the surrounding boxes. Clicking on a box provides details--actual file sizes and names--and a pop-up menu allows you to delete directly from the SpaceMonger map.
# Editor's Rating:5 stars
# Average User Rating:4.5 stars

Edited by happyrck, 03 April 2008 - 07:29 AM.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Similar to SequoiaView (picture is not as pretty though :) ). Nice part is you don't have to install it, just run the exe.