Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is 40 degrees Celcius too hot for CPU?

• Please log in to reply

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
I overclocked my Intel Core 2 duo e4500 @ 2.2 Ghz to 2.55Ghz by increasing the FSB from 800Mhz to 930Mhz. When I did this the temperature jumped to 40 degrees Celcius while I was playing a game. Is this temperature too hot? Is there any tips to overclocking more efficeintly?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
What was the temperature before you overclocked it? Off hand it doesn't sound too hot but look at the handbook that came with the processor. Also are you using the computer for something where you will actually gain from overclocking? Many uses are not greatly affected by overclocking and it may cause problems with video and audio timing.

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
I am using the computer for gaming and that is the reason I decided to overclock. I bought this processor from Tigerdirect and it doesnt have any temperature instructions. Before the overclock it ran at about 30 degrees celcius.

Dellica

Dellica

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I don't realy think you are in a dangerzone right now, the temperature jumped from 30 to 40 degrees WHILE playing a game which makes me believe this is in a stressed situation where the CPU is working alot.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
According to Intel the 4 series CPU's have a upper temp limit of 73° so i think your not going to have a problem here. There are 2 temps meters in intel cpu's.

(A) Tcase is acquired on the CPU Die from the CPU Case Thermal Diode as an analog level, which is converted to a digital value by the super I/O chip on the motherboard. The digital value is Calibrated in BIOS and displayed by temperature software. BIOS can affect the accuracy of Tcase.

(B) Tjunction is acquired within the Cores from Thermal Diodes as analog levels which are converted to digital values by the Digital Thermal Sensors (DTS) within each Core. The digital values are factory Calibrated and displayed by temperature software. BIOS does not affect the accuracy of Tjunction.

Intel does not read T junction so you are reading the Tcase numbers. For your information, T junction is usually 5 ° higher than Tcase.

You will really notice if your CPU is getting too hot because they start throttling down in speed as they get close to the limit temp. If they get too hot they will shut the computer off to keep from frying. AMD cpu's do not do this.

SRX660

georgewashington16

georgewashington16

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 91 posts
okay thank you.