Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing Secondary Hard-Drive

• Please log in to reply

Sinnen

Sinnen

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
A friend of mine is letting me have his computer-
It's the same as mine, but with a DVD drive and a Burner.

Both are Windows 98SE.

What I want to do is take my hard-drive with all my files and applications,
And install in on the computer he gave me.

Seeing as I wouldn't know the first place to start-
Can anyone help me or guide me in the right direction to an internet resource?

Much thanks.
You can also reach me at-
[email protected]

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Hard drives are generally mounted with four screws and two connections. If you want to add your drive as a slave then change the jumper setting of it to slave. The jumpers are on the back where the connectors are. You can switch the drives if you want his drive to be slave. On newer machines the drives are set to cable select and the drive's position on the cable determines what is master or slave.

If the machines are identical you should have no problem putting your drive in as master. You can download free burner software from the web, sometimes from the computer maker's site.

Sinnen

Sinnen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Ok.

So after I switch the new computer to slave-
And add my hard-drive as master.
The computer should run normally?

If I have any problems I'll just hook my HDD back on this computer and ask for help.

I just don't want to be [bleep]ing everything up instead of just screwing up one computer.

Thanks.

Sinnen

Sinnen

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Alright-

So I took both computers apart and did some mix and matching.

I moved the burner to my computer-
And the Hard Drive,
And some RAM.

The burner and RAM are working good-

But the second HDD wasn't.

When the computer loaded, it didn't load BIOs and said there wasn't an Operating System.
I figured both were set to master and were canceling each other out.

So I witched the prong thingys on the Slave Drive, and hooked it back up.

The system loaded fine, but didn't recognize the second drive.

Is there anything special I need to do to get it working?

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
Sinnen,

Most PCs have a PRIMARY and SECONDARY IDE Controller on the motherboard - with 2 distinct connectors on the motherboard. You can connect up to 2 IDE devices on each connector by designating them as either Master or Slave or "Cable Select". Master & Slave require that you set jumpers on Hard Drives or CD/DVD drives designating them as Master or Slave, whereas "Cable Select" is a function of the cable that you're using. Most new computer MFGs ship their PCs with at least ONE "Cable Select" cable - which has two connectors.

The bottom line is that you should be able to connect up to FOUR drives (hard disks or CD/DVD drives) to your PC and have them recognized by Windows as long as you're using the proper cables and/or you've configured your drives as either Master/Slave or Cable Select.

The following is a link to a good site that goes into the various IDE configurations:

http://www.mikeshard...ect_ide_hd.html

Hope this helps!

- John Hook