Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Airport setup

• Please log in to reply

arborphile

arborphile

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi
I am trying to set up an Airport system for my stereo. I have a PC running XP. I have just installed an IEEE 802.11g compatible wireless LAN PCI Adapter (ASUS WL- 138G V2) and have purchased a mac airport express. I have installed the drivers for the card and Airport Utility. The Airport is plugged in next to the PC.

The Airport Utility cannot see the Airport Express and the Airport Express is flashing amber.

What am I doing wrong or what am I not doing to make this work?
TIA
Arb

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi arborphile
You say aiport card can't see aiport express . When you click on the wirless connection and it searches for a signal to connect to are you getting a listing of something like 3658 ? If yes that is the aiport express network.
It does not give out a ssid name like windows network.
The flashing amber is ok at this stage. Once you connect and setp network name and wpa security the ligt will either keep flashing amber - which is normal or turn blue.
Cheers
Peterm

arborphile

arborphile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi peterm
Thanks for your reply.
There is no network showing up in the airport utility and an unrelated network called "sadowabat" showing up in my wireless network manager (see attached screen dumps).
Arb

Attached Thumbnails

• Airport.JPG
  • Airport2.JPG
  • Airport3.JPG

Edited by arborphile, 03 April 2008 - 05:58 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Arb
you are running Aiport on your computer and windows network wireless.
Step 1) Uninstall aiport - does windows wireless pick it up ? if not
Step 2) Disable windows wireless and reinstall aiport. Any difference?
Is your network card extreme compatiable ?
Cheers
peterm

arborphile

arborphile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Peterm
I tested the wireless network without airport utility installed and vice versa - no difference unfortunately. As far as I can tell by googling, the card is compatible.
Cheers
Arb

Edited by arborphile, 03 April 2008 - 09:14 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Arb
We have to go back to the start then.
1)Turn off the router and modem
2) Reload the aiport program
3) Unplug the ethernet cable from the router
4) Check that the ethernet cable is plugged into the wlan port on the modem.
5) Turn the modem on and wait for the connection on dsl to be made
6) Turn the router on and wait untill the green light turns amber
7) Plug the ethernet cable into the airport router.
Don't worry if it is flashing amber. Check for connection using the aiport program.
Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 04 April 2008 - 02:21 PM.

arborphile

arborphile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hi Arb
We have to go back to the start then.
1)Turn off the router and modem

I am not running a router. I have a wireless LAN PCI adapter (ASUS WL-138G V2). The only modem I am hooked up to cable, so the only modem is where the cable comes into the house (then splits to TV, net and phone). I don't think this modem is relevant to me setting up a wireless link to my stereo. Its possible that I have this whole wireless concept wrong though...

Arb

Edited by arborphile, 04 April 2008 - 09:15 PM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Arb
Ok the airport express is a router.
The most common use for this is to share your Internet wirelessly
The airport express also comes with the option to Share a USB Printer AND to share your tunes (music) wireless.
I assumed that 1st step was to hook internet up wirelessly then the itunes (music).
Ok you still need to turn the airport express off for 30 seconds as this is the reset function.
Turn it off then reload the program then turn on the airport express.
any connection signal?

Cheers
Peterm

arborphile

arborphile

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Peterm
I'd prefer to not have to access my internet via a wireless network if I can help it. I don't have a laptop so there is no need. I'd like to connect to my stereo as in the image below. I just don't seem to be able to get it to work.
Thanks for your help
Arb

Attached Thumbnails

• Airport4.JPG

Edited by arborphile, 05 April 2008 - 03:52 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
I am at a loss
I know what you want - but without your laptop picking up the sinal I donot know the answer.
The reason the light is flashing amber is because it is looking for an isp to connect to.
However this should not stop you from at least seeing a signal (I assume).
I wonder if because you want to use it as just the music side of things if we need to change it's habit.
I am sure we might have to set it as client or wds mode or it will forever search for an ip address.

When talking about a Wi-Fi network, a "client" is simply something that joins the network, like your computer. A client could also be a wireless print server or wireless audio device.

AirPort Express can function as a full-fledged wireless access point, or it can join an existing network just to offer its wireless print server and audio features. When AirPort Express does that, it is in "client mode.
In client mode AirPort Express does not offer itself as a wireless access point or use its Ethernet port. As a wireless client, AirPort Express is simply a destination for AirTunes and print jobs. It can join both 802.11b and 802.11g networks, including those using security features such as WEP and WPA-PSK."

So basicly because you do not have this plugged into your modem it does not have an tcpip address (normaly from the modem) So we have to change its habit so it has an tcpip address so it can join your network.
If you have a standard network card I would hard wire it to the express and see what settings are inside eg change to wds.
We need to see what ip address range you computer has and then add an tcpip address within the same range.
On your computer click on start>all programs >accessories>command prompt.
Type in ipconfig (then press enter) you should get a ip address showing something like 192.168.0.1.
Write down the ip subnet and gateway
to exit from here type exit (and press enter).

Cheers
Peterm
I do not have access to an airport express anymore. I hooked one up at home to see how it worked and
passed it on.

Edited by peterm, 05 April 2008 - 09:22 PM.