Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need Help finding old Bios Update

• Please log in to reply

zero061099

zero061099

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi I am trying to find a bios update for this Old HP Pavilion.

SPECS:

Model: HP Pavilion 310n

Chipset: Intel Whitney 82810E

Bios Type: Phoenix Bios 4.0 rev 6.0

Date: 12/15/01

Company: Trigem Lomita

I found one on Driverguide But it was deleted as well as HP's site.

I tried looking at the HP 510n But the BIOS is different even though I have the same board.

ANY help would be useful! Thanks!! :)

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there, and welcome to Geeks to Go!

I'm just wondering, why are you looking to update the BIOS?

A quick search through the HP support website reveals that there is no BIOS update available for this machine, so any update you do find would not be official - and therefore, inadvisable!

Cheers

Troy

zero061099

zero061099

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
t hanks for your response but no worries as I am a computer technician. IF the update went bad I know how to fix it. see I am fixing up this system for a 15 year old who doesnt need a lot of power BUT I need the Bios upgrade to do some other upgrades.

I KNOW there is one but just bc HP doesnt have it doesnt mean there isnt one out there. Like I said I DID find the EXACT one on driverguide but it had been deleted.

Thanks

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If the motherboard is not modded you can get it from the motherboard maker's site. I did that a while back for an unmodded board with modified BIOS on a Micron machine. I went to the Intel site and got a much later standard BIOS. It allowed me to use a different and faster processor. But if the board is modded in any way be very careful.

zero061099

zero061099

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
I wish it were that easy! LOL

I assure you its the factory OEM HP board.

heres where ive tried for MB manuf.

-Trigems site
-Intel's site
-Hp's site
-Compaq's site

BIOS Manuf.

-Phoenix's website

This board is considered a legacy board and thats probably why I cant find it. Its a shame as it was on driverguide but it was deleted.

The next one up from my 3.06 is 3.09 although I think there may even be a newer one.

I DID find the bios update for my board and bios using the AMD processor but that obviosly wont work

I never woulda thought finding a bios update would be so hard...lol

Edited by zero061099, 04 April 2008 - 06:59 AM.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Exactly what is it that you are trying to do that requires a BOS update? There may be a way around the problem. And yes, it's hard to find info on older Trigem boards, they do not support their legacy stuff well.

Click on the BIOS link of this page. It's on the listing. I'll check and see if I have the manual on another machine.

Edited by Tyger, 04 April 2008 - 08:17 AM.

zero061099

zero061099

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
no sir i assure there is no way around it. I wanted to add a SATA drive Plus add the max amount of ram...BUT the biso wont let me bc its sooooooooooo old....lol (2001)

PLUS a BIG maybe there may be some additional options to my CMOS that I can tweak for my system. YES I already know these boards are UN-overclockable.

***looks for bios link***

EDIT:

If your referring to the "Similiar Topics" with thatlink at the bottom of this page then that is not the correct BIOS as award is different then the actual phoenix bios. That award bios however was created by phoenix.

IF im wrong can u tell me what link you refer to?

Edited by zero061099, 04 April 2008 - 01:53 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
With all due respect, does your board have SATA ports on it?
Updating the BIOS won't magically give it the ability to talk to SATA ports if they don't exist already.
You can get PCI expansion cards with SATA ports on them and the machine should be able to boot off a drive connected to said card.

John Hook

John Hook

• PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
zero061099,

I'm kinda with everyone else here about SATA support. Since your motherboard doesn't have built-in SATA support, if you purchase an ADD-ON SATA PCI adapter - it should come with any drivers/software to support SATA on your legacy system - WITHOUT the need to flash upgrade your motherboard's BIOS.

Still, I HAVE run into older Compaq & HP systems that were built around 3rd party OEM Motherboards where flashing these boards "generic", non-HP or Compaq BIOS DID allow me to get around limitations (i.e. hard drive sizes/geometry, access to advanced BIOS settings that the HP/Compaq proprietary BIOS would NOT allow me to alter). If you can isolate the motherboard's actual mfg/model - you can probably do some searching and find compatible "generic" bios that will run on this board. Generally - these boards use either AWARD or Phoenix BIOS.

I recently had to re-flash an old Compaq Presario motherboard with non-Compaq BIOS in order to install a large hard drive. This worked for me as I was able to find the actual motherboard MFG (not Compaq or HP).

I did a Google search on your model number and came up with this link:

http://h10025.www1.h...p;product=71721

This link may or may not help - but it points to a 2004 version of Flash BIOS for this particular system.

Let me qualify ALL of this advice with the same advice given by others who have responded to your posts - BE CAREFUL when flash upgrading/replacing your motherboard's BIOS. DO NOT attempt to Flash upgrade (or downgrade or replace) your motherboard's BIOS unless you have a BACKUP plan. When playing around with BIOS changes, you should ALWAYS have a bootable diskette or CD with access to a utility that allows you to RE-FLASH your BIOS back to its original state. If you don't have this capability - you risk rendering your motherboard in a state where you can't use it! You should ALWAYS make a backup copy of your existing motherboard's BIOS and have access to a utility that will allow you to boot and restore that original BIOS in case your upgrade DOES NOT work!

Hope all of this helps.

- John Hook

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This might help you.

http://www.driversea...i...2810E&m=any

SRX660

Advertisements

zero061099

zero061099

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
AWESOME!! I will check them out!

As if its there I will use it but I just came across something that not too many people have heard of.

A Pentium III dual core MB and processors!!! Got it for $10.00 (USD) LOL

works like a charm! The baord is pretty big as it was used for a server. Alot of people think Dual-core processor just came a out not that long ago...LOL.

This board and CPU's are almost 9 years old.

Thanks for alll the help as im on a mission to find the bios update for this bad boy..ameribios.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Theres a big difference between a dual-core single processors and 2 processors on a single motherboard. Those old pentium 3's used 90 watts each so they could use quite a bit of power running. Dual core processors are 35-65-80- and 95 watts, which is much less.

But hey i have a old dual processor pentium 1-266 server that still runs fine. Not much use except for a file server but its good for that.

SRX660

zero061099

zero061099

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Well yes you are ALL correct! BUT I did say I am a computer tech. YES I Know I already got the SATA expansion for the SATA drive. ALSO I DO have a backup plan if the flash goes wrong.

Thanks for all ur help guys!!!

As for the PIII dual core...yes I know its not a TRUE dual core but I thought it was a great find! With the 2 cores, SSE1, and MMX it makes a fine computer and compares VERY well with the up to date dual cores.

EDIT:

there is NO bios update on the HP website for my MB. Even called and talked to a tech about it and he couldnt find one either.

Edited by zero061099, 05 April 2008 - 06:29 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Pentium III processors are not and never have been dual-core. Dual-core is two brains on one processor, dual-processor is two physical processors. They are not the same thing and only the first processor will be seen and used under XP Home anyway.
Performance wise it'll still suck compared to current processors, though file-sharing wise it'll be adequate anyway.

zero061099

zero061099

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Pentium III processors are not and never have been dual-core. Dual-core is two brains on one processor, dual-processor is two physical processors. They are not the same thing and only the first processor will be seen and used under XP Home anyway.
Performance wise it'll still suck compared to current processors, though file-sharing wise it'll be adequate anyway.

uummm what?? YES I already agreed its not a TRUE dual core BUT dual means 2 just bc they are seperate doesnt mean its not a dual core.

Second ur wrong about XP not seeing the processor...here take a look...... :)

Posted Image

Quote from WIKI since you dont believe me....

A multi-core CPU (or chip-level multiprocessor, CMP) combines two or more independent cores into a single package composed of a single integrated circuit (IC), called a die, or more dies packaged together. A dual-core processor contains two cores and a quad-core processor contains four cores.

Notice how it says a DUAL-CORE processor contains TWO cores. IE=2 processors...LOL :)

I lhad fun with the debate though lets stay on topic! Thanks again for all the help.

Edited by zero061099, 06 April 2008 - 01:08 PM.