Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP! XP install disk can't "find any HD devices"

• Please log in to reply

eurospec#19

eurospec#19

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My Compaq laptop is about to give me a heart attack. Just some background...I have my hard drive partioned as C and D drive. The OS runs off C drive and I have all my PhD info in D drive. As I was working on my computer, my cursor suddenly disappeared. I couldn't access any functions so I shut it down using the power button. When I restarted the computer failed to boot properly. The final screen just said, "no operating system found".

I tried to reboot off the XP (full installation) disk and I can get to the step where I'm given the option to set up, repair or quit setup. After selecting "set up Windows XP now" I should move on the user license agreement but instead it brings up the following:

"Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed on your computer.

Make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk-related hardware configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setup cannot continue"

Can anyone please help me with this? I REALLY need to access my info on D drive. Why isn't my HD being detected?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
you don't have norton goback installed on it by any chance?

eurospec#19

eurospec#19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I do have Norton Systemworks 2005 installed, and I believe GoBack is included. But how will that help my situation if there's no operating system found?

Also, when I try to boot off the hard disk, I get the following error:

"PXE-E61" Media Test Failure, Check Cable

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
It won't help, but goback will prevent the windows installation routine from seeing your harddrive.

"PXE-E61" Media Test Failure, Check Cable is a different issue...your computer is trying to boot off the network....

Let me look for some stuff on goback...ran into this once before....

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
http://service1.syma...=&osv=&osv_lvl=

Ok, the above should allow you to remove norton goback, but I am still concerned about your doctoral papers.....

before you go about setting up windows, have you checked that the d: drive is still accessible using the Recovery Console (choosing R during boot with the xp CD).

With something that important, I would consider getting that stuff off as soon as possible

eurospec#19

eurospec#19

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for your help. :tazz:

At first, I tried to use the recovery console but I got the same error...no hard disk detected. I went into the setup options of the BIOS and made sure the comp would boot off 1) the CDROM, and 2) the hard disk, but still no luck.

I just dropped off my laptop at a professional computer tech and he's going to try rescue my files on D drive. I hope he's successful. (fingers crossed)

Edited by eurospec#19, 25 April 2005 - 02:21 PM.

Carling999

Carling999

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi
have a similar problem, I can boot my computer from my hard disk but i want to format my computer and then the same problem occurs...