Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Upgrading my Desktop Part 2

• Please log in to reply

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Okay, so in a previous post we picked out the MOBO, Video Card, Case, PSU, and RAM. Here is the current results;

MOBO - GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L
Video - XFX GeForce 9600GT 512MB
Case - Antec 900
PSU - OCZ StealthXStream 600W
RAM - Mushkin 2GB PC2 6400

With my current CPU, Pentium 4 3.0GHz, these additions will be held back. So I'm thinking that I will use my own money to upgrade the CPU and a few other things. Here is what I am currently looking at;

CPU - Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Heatsink - Choice 1 or Choice 2
DVD Drive - Choice 1 or Choice 2

And possibly;

Keyboard and Mouse - GEAR HEAD KBL7500W

With the Heatsink, I need to know if it will fit the MOBO and the Case. I might be looking into OCing, so I was hoping that these would do a decent job. Also, I prefer for the heatsink to look like crap.

The keyboard and mouse will probably be my most picky choice out of everything. I hate the "ergonomic" keyboards, because they agitate my wrists. Also, I may be hooking up my desktop to my 32" 780p LCD, so I will need wireless over wired.

Since I am already spending money on the previous parts, I don't think I should spend over $300 to $350 on these parts.

Edit - Should I buy something like some thermal grease too? If so, please suggest some.

Edited by Granz00, 02 April 2008 - 11:30 PM.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

For the DVD Burners, I would choose the Samsung out of your choices.

For the heatsink, please don't get any of those. For around the same price, you can pick up this - which is a much better choice. It will come with thermal grease already applied on the heatsink.

And the good ol' keyboard and mouse - of course, it all comes down to user preference! My wife was happy with a $4 cheapo mouse, but now I "upgraded" to a Logitech MX Revolution. Definitely money well spent, in my opinion! And I'm using a standard Logitech corded keyboard, which is fine for my uses. Of course, you are intending to purchase a keyboard and mouse for half the price of my mouse... :)

I really like the quality of Logitech products. I am unsure of the Gear Head brand you have chosen as I've never heard of it. Here would be my recommendation for your purposes and description of requirements.

Cheers

Troy

P.S. Next time, it can be a lot easier if you keep the whole lot in a single thread. There's no need to create a second thread when we're continuing on with the same build. :)